What is a 1099 tax form?

I worked for four months last year for an indiviudal whom owned a business. Taxes were never taken out of my check. I asked for taxes to be taken out but they never were. My question is will I have to pay in money for the four months I did not pay taxes? I didn't make that much money at this job maybe 2000 dollars total. I am just really worried about having to pay money.

danielle8717

Asked by danielle8717 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• yes, you will owe taxes on the money you earned if it was not deducted from your check
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• 1099 is what is given to contractors or in other words people who are paid that arent on "payroll" You will get a 1099 from them and you will have to claim it as income and pay taxes on that money you earned.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• If you earned more than (I think) $600, you will need to pay both the employer's and employee's taxes.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• 1099s are for contract employees. The rules are quite strict about whether or not you qualify as a contractor or an employee. If you do not qualify as an employee, they will not withhold taxes. You are required to pay the payroll taxes as well as the federal taxes on that money. You will also receive a deduction on your taxes (page one) of 1/2 of the payroll taxes.

See this form. http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sse.pdf
    Anonymous