Speaking of other ethnic groups...how often to you really enter act with them?

Do you live in a area where there is not much diversity?
Do you find yourself avoiding certain areas where 'those people' are?
Do you assume that if you see someone of a certain back ground that you know what they would do or say in any given situation?
While you understand there are expections to every rule do you find yourself still thinking that the vast majority of people of a cetain background are a certain way? And what are you basing those thoughts from? Experience, tv and other forms of mass media or what you've been told rather from your parents, spouse or friends.
What would have to happen for you to change your mind about a certain group of people?

Please remember that this ? spans the carts of more than one or two ethnic groups. You don't have to be black to be considered ethnic so really ponder this question and look at it globally.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i could care less the color of the skin someone is in. its each individuals behaviour i judge them on
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• There is an area of my town that my AA friends tell me to avoid that is a high concentration of AA's. I have noticed that are local mall has also suddenly become overwhelmed and the crime rate there has gone up. So , I dint know if I am now avoiding it for race reasons or crime reasons. I worked at a daycare and became really close with the AA girl that worked with me and she did not want our boss hiring anymore then 2 or 3 AA's. That was all her I swear! She said it would bring down the perceived quality and she did not want that! I have nothing wrong with any race just on race alone, but I am not going to walk through Harlem by myself either, and I dont think most honest people would!

Anonymous

• enter act? as in, see/participate in a play?

I interact with PEOPLE... that's what we all are, right?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• ObbyDobbie - lol thanks for pointing that out. I realized after I hit the button that I spelled it wrong. My apologies.
    Anonymous

• I really don't care what race someone is. It isn't skin color that makes someone who they are. It is their personality.

That being said, I sadly do not get to interact with many different ethnicities. I say sadly because there is a rich culture that comes with each heritage. It is a shame to not be able to share such knowledge with others by being cooped up in a small town that does not care about other cultures.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• In interact with people from different ethnic groups on a daily basis- sometimes intimately! Of course, I am married to someone from a different ethnic group! LOL! Our area is pretty diverse... on our block alone I can think of at least four different ethnicities and/or nationalities represented, and those are just the neighbours we know. I love that the kids go to school with a lot of kids from different backgrounds and a lot of other biracial kids... in a really homogeneous community, anyone remotely 'different' could be singled out... so far we really haven't run into that where we are.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I INTERACT with the Hispanic and African Americans every day. The African Americans I interact with are great. No problems. The Hispanic (90% illegal Mexicans) I have real problems with. They make our neighborhood unsafe. We've been robbed several times by them. (I know this because of witnesses.) I am mad that our local elementary school's marquis out front is ONLY in Spanish. I'm mad that we can't get jobs in our own neighbor because we are not bilingual. It's not the race. It's the attitude. If you want to live in the US, come here legally and learn the language!!!!

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Thank you AngelDawn7 for your answer. Again I apologize for spelling interact wrong.
    Anonymous

• Sorry. When I wrote that, I did not see that you had corrected yourself.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 4:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I'm in the Navy, and it's very diverse. I don't label anyone because of their race or ethnicity. I choose who I interact (not using this word to pick on you OP lol) with based on how they carry themselves and how they are as people. I have been guilty of blanketing an opinion on a group in the past, but joining the Navy has helped me with that. A lot of times, where you're from and what you experience can and do form opinions like that. I'll give an example: When I was 16, 9/11 struck. There were Muslims outside of a Masque(sp??) cheering and burning American flags. I was so enraged, I labeled them all as terrorists until they proved otherwise. That opinion was enforced by years of meeting more and more middle eastern people that proudly admitted to hating America, but loving our money. I now know that I was ignorant, but I was young, and that was the impression I was given. I now know that there is good and bad in all.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2010