Has anyone seen Avatar the movie? And should I take my 7 yr old? Is there any profanity and/or Sexual content?

I like to control what my 7yr old watches. He has been asking to see Avatar but I don't allow him to watch PG13 movies. Is this movie a movie to make an exception?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• It is a very good movie with a great enviornmental message. There are some very mild references to sexuality, (they talk about ""mating") There are also a few violent battle scenes, a few curse words strewn here and there, but I don't remember seeing any blood. Personally, I would let a 7 year old watch it, but that's me.
    moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 4:08 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My husband seen it and said there was a pseudo sex scene. My 4 year old wanted to see it to but I thought it would be too long to sit through for him. It's somewhat racy and a little bit violent. You can watch the trailer on youtube.
    GothicMommy3

Answer by GothicMommy3 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I would not take a 7 year old to see it. It is a very long movie, as well as being pretty violent at times and as the PP said, racy, as well
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• There's kissing scenes and such- they do talk about mating. I think it was violent too. Personally, I think it was very overrated. My husband thought it was cool, I thought it was mainly just one of those movies that are showing all the cool graphics they can do, with a lack of true story lines.

It's not for kids, It's long and I was actually pretty bored. You're right to check on movies though- my husband wanted to see the Disney movie 'up', and I thought it was just very sad.
    Anonymous

• I took my 6 year old son to see it twice because I liked it so much... he fell asleep the second time lol. He knows right from wrong as far as bad words go... the sex scence is soooo quick... you will know when it starts and can cover your little ones eyes.

It all depends on how you are with your kids on violence and profanity.
    ProudMom_5703

Answer by ProudMom_5703 at 5:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• In my opinion it's not an appropriate movie for a seven-year-old. .. much too scary and violent.
    teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 5:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Anytime you have to cover your child's eyes because of whats in a movie that should answer your question pretty quickly. I would not let a seven year old watch this movie.
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 10:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• http://www.pluggedin.com/movies/intheaters/avatar.aspx

Detailed content of the movie. But a good rule of thumb is if HOLLYWOOD rates it PG-13--in other words, not appropriate for a 7 year old, then most parents would absolutely find it inappropriate for young kids. Hollywood's standards are much looser than the majority of parents!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:17 AM on Feb. 5, 2010