A Catholic IS A Christian!

I'm Catholic and I get so irritated when people using generalizations will say "Jewish, Catholic, Christian..." as though a Catholic is not a Christian. This bugs the tar out of me, always has. A friend told me today that I am the only one who feels this way. She even pointed out that her husband's grandmother who is a Catholic will say if she's asked if she's a Christian "No, I'm Catholic." HUH?

So...AM I the only one? Am I being too sensitive?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:59 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I hear it all the time. Actually I've been told often that Catholics AREN'T Christian. I usually reply "oh? I thought the Euchariist was the body of CHRIST. My bad" That usually shuts them up.
    indymom22

Answer by indymom22 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I would be annoyed if someone told me I was Baptist and not Christian, so I understand your irritation. However, I don't believe that any denomination equals Christian. I believe it is your faith in Christ that makes you a Christian - so just because you are a certain denomination, it does not also immediately mean you are a Christian. Hope that makes sense!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 4:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• This one peeves me too. The term Protestant is more appropriate.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 4:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• OK? I already knew that. Jewish and Muslim are the only two that don't consider themselves christian.
    Anonymous

• it annoys me to.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• right there with you. christian= believe in christ
    Anonymous

• maybe she is just proud to say she is catholic..idk.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• even though all tie in to be the same thing some just believe they are better than the other...
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I always considered Catholic to be Christian. But I guess some people want to clarify what kind of Christian.
    Anonymous

• My grandparent's Pastor (Southern Baptist) told them that I was going to hell for being Catholic, because I'm not a Christian. It was all I could do not to walk out of the church during my grandfather's funeral when said Pastor told the group that everyone who was not Christian was going to burn in a lake of fire... I definitely consider myself Christian.
    acollins09

Answer by acollins09 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 4, 2010