Need help or advice...My son had his tonsils and adenoids taken out.

My son which is 7 yrs old had his tonsils and adenoid taken out yesterday. Am i being too hard on him? He keeps asking for something to eat so I fix him what he wants such as chicken noodle soup, Mac -n-Cheese, and give him popciles but he doesn't eat it. He looks at it, takes a bite and just walks away and never comes back to eat it. I will ask him if he is going to eat and he says no. I just told him that I am not going to keep fixing this food and he not eat it. Am I being to hard on him at this point?

Also, I know he isn't feeling good especially since this just happened yesterday morning but if we are not in the room he acts fine, he will play his DS, play with his sister and watch TV with no whining and no complaining. We walk in the room he starts whining and crying. I kind of feel like he is messing with us. What should I do about this?

Please any and all advice is appreciated. =)

tgeary

Asked by tgeary at 4:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Give him extra baby-ing for at least a week. It took my oldest son almost 3 weeks to get over getting his tonsils. out. Your little one may be hungry, but when he actually tries to swallow something he may feel queasy or hurt. He may not know what he wants. You are doing well to give him what he asks for. Be extra patient for a while.

Answer by Bmat at 4:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• It's something that he, as a male, will never grow out of lol. When they're hurting, they want extra love and attention. I remember when I had my tonsils out, everything except popsicles hurt. You're not being hard on him, he may want the food, but is unable to eat it. Ask him if he wants to help you make Jell-o. It'll be fun for him and easy to eat. Good luck, and I hope he feels better soon!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I had mine out when I was around 8 and I remember it like it was yesterday! It sucked sooo bad.. and HURT.. maybe when he is playing round he does feel ok at the moment but if he is messing around to much it is going to hurt then that's when he cries! it is surgery anyway you look at it.. There is going to be pain! I was down for at least 3 or 4 days.. ofcourse mine didn't heal right so I was out for like a week and a half but still.... yes he might be hungry but when he takes a bit it tastes funny.. the back of his throat is cut and burnt and swollen and he is going to taste blood, so it is all going to tast funny.. just keep the popciles and sherbert is also good! if he just had it done yesterday he should be resting not playing round he could break open stitches or scabs.. rest rest and rest
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• The doc gave me liquid pain meds.. I hope ur son got something.. if not then give him either motrin or tylenol liquid form.. it will help a lot! gl
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2010