what was the hardest part.

My son is 17months old, and i've been at home with him since he was born. Well he just got accepted into headstart, and will be starting in march. So my question is what is the hardest part of them starting school, He'll be going full day 8 am to 330pm. What should i expect?

vgiron

Asked by vgiron at 4:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wow people, way to be kind and sensitive. Daycare or school... why all the judgments? Maybe she won't be "bored" because maybe she will be working or doing something she considers important with her time... who are you all to judge that? Lots of kids spend more than 7 hours a day away from their parents. For us the hardest thing was the goodbyes. My girls were 13 months and 28 months when they started two days a week, 9-2:30. Neither one cried the first day because they didn't really get it... but day two, watch out!!! And my 13 month old did fine after a few days; my big girl had trouble with goodbye for about a month... it can take awhile for them to feel comfortable and fully understand you're always going to come back. It is hard that there are things you don't get to experience with them, but it's fun discovering those things second-hand, too. It's an adjustment like any other. Good luck.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• For me the hardest part was that there was now a part of their lives that I would never share with them. And it would be so for the rest of their lives. That precious time that you had with your child now changes to things that he experiences that you don't share. Of course you will see him blossom in other ways now as he learns about others and himself and learns the subjects at his school. So in the end, it's good.

Answer by Bmat at 4:06 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• you'll be bored..... and miss him. and his personality will change somewhat, most likely... it'll take you time to adapt to that.

expect more colds/sniffles/sicknesses for awhile ... they'll pass eventually
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• 17mths and all day at school!!!! why would any 17mth old need 7.5 hours of school? that is way too much time from home. you should find a place with shorter days, especially since he has been spending all day with you.
    Anonymous

• Expect that it will be an easier transistion for him than you..bring tissue mom cause your gonna cry!
    lol..
    its hard to let them go and grow up a little...
    awwww...good luck!
    :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 4:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Well, for me, It was leaving him,... I have always worked outside the home and my son goes part time 3 days one week and part time 4 days the next week- the absolute hardest was that he cried everytime I dropped him off for like 6 months.. it was torture and then I would go to the monitor and he was fine with in 4 minutes but still.... and what if he thought I was leaving him? What if he didn't make friends? what if someone picked on him or he didn't nap well or if he fell down and I wasn't there to love him? haha.. well, I still go through those same feelings but its just a bit easier and its been almost a year
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Well, my daughter is 2 and she goes to a toddler group from 9-11 but is gone from 8-12:30 (they pick her up and bring her home), and that isn't so bad....BUT she goes to her jerk of a father's house every sunday from noon to 8...so she's gone from 11:45am to usually 9ish...and that SUCKS....It's not so bad because I have my 8 month old son at home too so he keeps me company...but I miss her like crazy. If he is your only child...it's gunna drive you nuts...and after spending ALL your time only taking care of him...when he's gone...you're not gunna know what to do with yourself. It will be hard at first, but you'll get used to it and eventually find ways to enjoy yourself. Good luck momma =)
    Anonymous

• by the way headstart is not a school it's a daycare but nice try.
    Anonymous