At what age do you start potty training. I was thinking at two, is that good?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• all depends on your child. as soon as they start showing some potty readiness signs is a good time to get started. but that can be sooner for some later for others
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:10 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• When the child shows signs of being ready. It could be 18 months, 2 years, 3 years. It depends on the child.
    Anonymous

• my son turned 2 in nov and he is no where near ready.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My 19 mo is showing signs of being ready and we are only successful on the potty about every third day. I just keep putting her on the potty when she shows me that she has to go. It will take time.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• its when they are ready not you. my dd was ready at 18 mts , my niece was ready at 3 yrs.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 7:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• The answer you'll most often hear: "when your child is ready -- don't push it until then" is called child-led potty training. It's not the only opinion out there, but it's definitely the most popular one. I'm of a different opinion. We trained my first daughter at 19 months (it took a little over a week) and my second daughter who is now 17 months will train during her spring break in a month... Here's an interesting article discussing some of the history of potty training age in the US: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/kirsten-dirksen/who-decides-when-to-potty_b_265227.html It's a pretty recent development to wait until 3 or ever 4 years old (if the child doesn't exhibit a list of "readiness signs"). Just because your child isn't already training himself doesn't mean he can't or shouldn't be trained.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:43 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• We trained our daugher at 20 months... she was showing some signs of readiness, but not all of them. It took about 2 weeks. If you want it, go for it!
    cschwanger

Answer by cschwanger at 12:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2010