How do you do your whites?

I'm wondering if I'm doing it right? I put my detergent and bleach in my water in the washer first then i put my clothes in. Am I doing it wrong? I'm not trying to sound stupid. I really am not. But I always wonder if I was the only one who put bleach and detergent together. Or is it supposed to be only bleach .. cuz sometimes I think that it deactivates the detergent ? idk. Whats your opinion?

Luckyme3487

Asked by Luckyme3487 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Same way I do my Asians. Butdum Bum!
    Anonymous

• I start the washer and add the detergent and bleach when the washer is half full. Then add the clothes and do a second rinse at the end.
    If your washer has a liquid bleach dispenser you can add it there and it will out it in at the appropriate time.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Oh I didn't know that, When you do the second rinse does it make the clothes more cleaner?
    Luckyme3487

Answer by Luckyme3487 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I wash all of my whites (socks, underwear, cleaning rags, kitchen rags, etc) in hot water. start filling, add detergent, bleach, and if it is a smelly load I add 1/2 cup of baking soda. no, I do not do a 2nd rinse. ONLY when it is a heavily soiled load do you rinse 2X (or if you dump WAAAYYY too much detergent in it)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Ohhh okay I understand Thanks for the advise girls :)
    Luckyme3487

Answer by Luckyme3487 at 4:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I do a second rinse because I am sensitive to the smell of bleach and my kids have eczema and their skin is sensitive to the bleach residue. It doesn't make them cleaner, it just keeps me from getting headaches and them from getting breakouts.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:31 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I've got a front loader with the whites cycle.

but my old machine I'd run a hot soak and leave them to soak in bleach for a few hours, thenrinse and carryon with the wash cycle.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 4:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I have a hockey player and a roofer in my house, socks are a mess! It took me until about 1.5 years ago to learn the best way to do our whites is to soak the socks overnight first. I put in about 1 cup each baking soda and vinegar as the washer fills with hot water once it's full i stop the cycle so it soaks overnight then in the morning add detergent and let it finish, then when it's about 1/2 full with hot water again I add detergent and bleach and the rest of the whites and when that's done I run a second rinse to get rid of more of the bleach smell.
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Detergent actually counteracts the effects of the bleach, so it is best to add the bleach in the last 5 minutes during the rinse cycle so that it can work by itself. I also wash my whites in hot water.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Try not to use bleach on anything, including whites, unless they are heavily soiled or filled with bacteria.
    For regular whites, I place my laundry in the washer, set the water level and turn it on. I add my detergent into the flow of the water, add 1/2 cup of Borax, and then throw in my liquid fabric softener ball (officially a Downy ball, but I don't use Downy anymore). I always wash regular washes on cold/cold.
    I do the same for my bleached whites, except I place the bleach in the dispenser section of the washing machine and I do not use softener or Borax. I wash in warm water (not hot) and rinse in cold.
    I never use softener on any of our towels because then they will not absorb water very well, especially dish towels.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2010