what do your kids get picked on for?

.... and when does it start?

My kids are together in preschool right now and my daughter will go again in the fall but her brother will start kindergarten. I've been careful with their names, clothes, etc etc to try and give them the best start/platform possible but I am wondering when it begins these days

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in

• Nothing really so far. My oldest gets teased about being short but not in a mean way. It's mostly the boys (and they all have crushes on her). She's almost 10 but only 4' tall (same height as her 7yo sister) and is the shortest kid in her class by several inches and shorter then most of the 3rd and some of the 2nd graders.
    As far as I know, in school, the kids haven't been picked on about anything.
    My 7yo does get picked on outside of school because of the way she talks (she has a speech delay). Mostly by my friend's 10yo dd who I wanted to strangle on Halloween because she kept laughing and being mean to my dd every time she talked to the point my sweet, outgoing dd stopped talking and spent the rest of the night in near tears (their mother wasn't with us, I was taking her kids TorT with my kids and almost took the oldest home because of her teasing).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:32 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Some kids will find anything to pick on another for. They talk and tease about any and everything. Just make sure that the lines of communication are open so if they do have someone bothering them, they'll talk to you.

Example something as simple as how many Christmas gifts they got. My nephew would make comments during the holidays that he didn't go anything for Christmas. So of course I asked what he was talking about. According to him he only go 5 gifts. But everyone else in his class was going to get more. We tried telling him that it didn't matter what the other kids got that he still had a great Christmas. But at 9 it's not the easiest thing to hear. So even though they spent a couple hundred for him it still wasn't enough in his eyes.

Anonymous

• I was picked on for anything and everything -
    one day a kid on the playground was glaring at me, I looked his way and he then said out of the blue -

"my dad's bigger than your dad!"
    I kid you not-

Think that was kindergarten
    Anonymous

• take a look at cafemom- there's 'picking on' all the time.
    Anonymous

• My daughter gets made fun of for her lisp on the bus. She got tired of the kid not getting in trouble so she politely turned to him and said "I'm gonna backfist you..." and that ended.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Weight
    clothes
    looking too hot
    Anonymous

• I work in my son's preschool readiness room just so I can keep an eye on bullies. He's delayed and really thin, super pale, I just know this is the type of kid to get picked on....So While I do spend time in his classroom, kids still hit him him! not with a closed fist but with a hit to the belly,, it's usually while they are lining up to go outside, a busy time when the little monsters think they can get away with being mean. I talk to the teacher and she says she will keep a close eye on things when I'm not there...But I tell ya when you see some kid take a swing at yours it's hard to sit back and deal with the situation with a cool head. There is one mom I will be talking to!
    seeing all this now makes me afraid for the future grades. but yeah if your kid is a pale twig with learning problems they will be picked on. And yes I feel bad for saying that about my son, but it is true.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:19 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• my son's in 3rd and K. K nothing, my 3rd just gets told he talks to much.
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:49 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• anon.. 12:13 ..looking to HOT!! come on!. what the heck are your kids wearing?
    r00j04j08

Answer by r00j04j08 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 8, 2010

• Even though it's not right, many different kids get picked on many different things. my daughter picks on her brother because he doesn't want to learn to ride a bike.And he is 11 years old now! And my son picks on his older sister because she's all talk.and hardly does what she saids she's going to do. My inlaws picked on me for a while because I panic when it came time to drive a car. That's why I don't drive. Because of other stupid drivers out there on the road. All's there is to do about it is just throw it all over your shoulder and don't worry about it just do whats good for you.
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 8:35 AM on Feb. 10, 2010