Would you accept this?

If you are a SAHM and your dh works about 12 hrs a day 5 days a week (salary). And he is offered another position within the same company that would require EVEN longer hrs for a $15,000 a year pay increase would you guys accepted? Keep in mind that means longer hrs away from you and your two kids (an infant and a toddler). Things are ok, not rolling in the dough but ok. Would you/ your dh accept it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• Tough question. My husband is working 60 hrs a week (12 hour days) and I'm alone with the kids. It starts to get to you after a while. I think 15k a year more might ease some of my suffering. But the kids miss their Dad. Like I said, tough question.
    Anonymous

• I was going to answer I'm not sure..but you know..we kinda are going through the same type of thing now that I think about it. My SO is a truck driver and work has been slow in the dumptruck industry so money is getting really tight around here. He has an opportunity to make quite a bit more money going over the road but neither one of us are okay with that. I mean, if I said to him I wanted him to do it..I believe he would go but I don't want him gone for weeks at a time. So, I guess I kinda do understand where youre coming from..and no I wouldnt make the sacrifice unless we absolutley had no other choice.
    Anonymous

• Yes, because tell him to take it. We've been in that position and it does take team effort on both of you. You'll have your job and he'll have his. In the long run it will pay off. Now by telling him so you will have to be supportive of his job and not to complain. He'll be providing security for the family by working those long hours.
    Anonymous

• Totally depends on your priorities, and what will make your family happier. Money - family time
    Anonymous

• Yes
    Anonymous

• I wouldn't. I don't mind living simply, but it means the world to me to be able to spend time as a family. Just my opinion.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 6:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I've been in this position - I was still pregnant with our son, and he already worked 2 jobs and wanted to take on another one which would have given him MAYBE 4 hours total at home, which he would need for sleeping. I talked about it on here and got a bunch of crap for it because "he wants to support his family" but how would it be fair for me to have to take care of a newborn on my own with no help and nobody around to relieve me? I'm not wonderwoman.

So, it's your call, but I'd rather cut corners and live simply and go without the luxuries than hardly ever see my fiancee or have our son miss out on his dad. OK is good enough for me. Is it good enough for you?
    atowers

Answer by atowers at 6:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• It beats living paycheck to paycheck. Make sure you sock away that extra money for emergencies.

Anonymous

• at this current time I would say no because we are doing ok financially and I wouldn't want my hubby out of the house more than he is. I want him home more not less. I know 15K would make a difference in our lives but not enough that I would want my hubby away more. I think you need to look at a few things. 1 how much of a difference would that make to you. 2. would this be a good step as far as his career and 3. how would it effect your family life. GOOD LUCK!!!
    Anonymous

• It would depend. How much more time away are we talking about? Also, if he doesn't take it, how will that reflect on him at work as far as how his company views him, possible promotions / more responsibilities in the future, etc goes? Would the long hours be a permanent thing, or would they be temporary or something that could be used as a stepping stone to a position where he wouldn't have to work as many hours? How much is he going to resent you if he doesn't take it? How much are you going to resent him if he does? How much are you guys willing or able to make sure that the time he's not at work is family time, instead of, say, hanging out with friends or whatever?

Honestly, it's a tough decision - good luck whichever way you go.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:39 AM on Feb. 5, 2010