Disguising vegetables. Any ideas.

My dh and dd hate vegetables. I thought if I disguise them, make them look and taste good they might actually eat it. Any ideas on how to do that?

Ashes1207

Asked by Ashes1207 at 5:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Meatloaf.
    Believe it or not, that was the only way I could get my daughters to eat any type of fruits and veggies and they never knew it.
    You can add just about anything to a meatloaf to add moisture and flavor. Fresh veggies and fruits can be diced, julienned, shaved, mashed, etc. to be added to the meatloaf.
    The two I have made that my daughters still love to this day (2 are adults and one is 16) is one with applesauce and another with grated carrots, parsnips, and turnips.
    Have fun!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 5:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Depending on the veggie...I use cheese on broccoli and cauliflower. You can shred carrots and zucchini into cakes and breads and such (adds moisture, too, so bonus!). Mushrooms can be chopped up and put into pretty much any sauce...Green beans can be made into green bean casserole, with extra mushroom soup (added veggie) and fried onions they won't really taste the beans so much. That's all I can think of right now.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:35 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• You can actually puree them and add them to sauces. Use cauliflower in Alfredo and use darker veggies in spaghetti. You can do a lot with them.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• mashed butternut squash in mac and cheese
    pureed spinach in mashed potatoes for monster brains!!
    sometimes veggie haters will love a chopped salad.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:21 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• steam, puree, freeze them into ice cubes and put 'em into fruit smoothies.
    grate them in a cheese grater and add them to spaghetti sauce or in lasagna or enchiladas

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• oh, and homemade soups. after everything has cooked for a while it all tastes like the broth.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• there are cookbooks out there that hide the vegies
    Deceptively Delicious: Simple Secrets to Get Your Kids Eating Good Food by Jessica Seinfeld
    and
    The Sneaky Chef: How to Cheat on Your Man (In the Kitchen!): Hiding Healthy Foods in Hearty Meals Any Guy Will Love by Missy Chase Lapine (Missy has other sneaky chef bks too for family and kid meals)
    Anonymous

• I was going to suggest the same book! by Jessica Seinfeld.... It's wonderful and you will need a food processor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• you can bake crinkle cut carrots in the oven to make carrot fries. you just need a crinkle cutter from walmart. i shred carrots, zucchini, squash, spinach and others into any sauce i make. like for spaghetti. shred it all small enough they can't see it and they never know its there.
    Shadows00

Answer by Shadows00 at 9:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I would tell your husband to be an adult and set a great example for his child. I don't believe in hiding nutrition; I believe in flavorful, delicious, colorful meals.
    Here is one of my family's favorites; send me a message offlist if you would like more:
    I serve this it over broccoli (and I make double the sauce).
    Pasta and Tofu with Finger-Licking Peanut Sauce
    1/2 cup low or no sodium vegetable broth
    1/4 cup chunky peanut butter (I use smooth)
    1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
    3 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons rice vinegar
    2 teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
    2 teaspoons chile paste with garlic (add to taste, it is pretty spicey)
    4 garlic cloves, minced
    8 ounces uncooked whole wheat angel hair
    1 pound firm tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
    1 cup (2-inch) sliced green onions
    1 cup shredded carrot

cont

Answer by rkoloms at 5:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2010