How do I prevent freezer burn to my breastmilk that is stored in breastmilk freezer bags?

I recently thawed out a bag of breastmilk that had been frozen for 2 months and it smelt like freezer burn and my baby would not drink it. I thawed out another bag that had only been in the freezer for a week and it smelt the same wayt. I don't know what the problem is seeming i'm using Lanolin breastmilk freezer bags. How do I prevent this from happening?

KristyT2

Asked by KristyT2 at 5:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• Make sure to flatten the bags to get the air out before you freeze them. You might consider putting the bags in a shoe box or a Rubbermaid container in the freezer.
    MomToBeISaMom

Answer by MomToBeISaMom at 5:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Are you squeezing the air out of the bag before you seal it? I fill my bags up (usually about 8 oz per bag even though they only are supposed to be 6) and then squeeze as much air out as I can and seal it. Then I lay it flat in my fridge freezer until it's frozen, then transfer it to the deep freeze. I store all my frozen milk in a BPA free plastic, hard sided container in the freezer. I've never had a problem with freezer burn. ***knock on wood***
    Good luck!
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 5:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2010