terrible 2's

What causes it and what can I do ?
My daughter is acting like the spawn of satan !!!! LOL
I cant take it anymore !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She is having tatrums like every 5 minutes and is not even happy when I finally give in and let her have what she wants . I am a SAHM and by friday night when DH is home i dont even want to look at her and she still wont let him do things for her when I need a break .
Any advice ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is because she is testing you to see what she can get away with and how you will react to things. It is not that they are being terrible. I hate that word. They are trying to figure out what is expectable in life.

Anonymous

• Its just a natural thing and you cant really stop it, whoever comes up with a cure to stop it will be a multi- billionaire!! lol. My son is 5 and he still has tantrums and freaks out and doesnt listen at times. thats what children do, we were no better when we were kids. It doesnt stop and im sure when they turn into teenagers is doesnt get any better! lol. The only thing i can say is turn to support groups or find other mothers in your area and do playdates to pre occupy her!
    ILovemyson1020

Answer by ILovemyson1020 at 5:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Go to you tube and look up Non Violent Communication Inbal Kashtan and check out , cnvc.org. My little one was fine until she turned 3, this helped me a lot.
    dharmagirl

Answer by dharmagirl at 6:05 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Terrible 2's happen in the second year of life. They are testing their boundaries and if you stay consistent then they tend to go away faster. I noticed when we started being more consistent the behaviors started to get better. Just be patient and try to not give in. When you give in she is learning that a tantrum will get her what she wants you have to ignore them the best you can. I wish you luck because I have been there and I am doing it know.
    coala

Answer by coala at 6:07 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I remember mine actually being worse when they were 3!
    I don't know what to tell you hun- good luck though ...eventually you will have a whole new set of issues!
    good luck, hang in there
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 7:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I don't know how to cure them but I can tell you that the fact that you give in isn't going to help slow down temper tantrums it's just going to tell your child that they have to scream and fuss that much in order to get whatever they want. Try a temper tantrum chair, when they start to throw a fit you go and sit them on the chair or bed or whatever and tell them they can come join the family when they are done throwing their fit. It's worked for my son so far most of the time he stops throwing a fit as soon as you leave the room because he realizes you aren't paying any attention to his temper tantrum and he'll sit there for as long as he's mad at me and I let him sit in there alone until he's calmed down enough to want to use his big boy words and tell me what it is that's wrong.
    Anonymous

• It's just their brains developing and them becoming aware that they are actually an independent individual separate from their parents. It's hard, but be glad your kid's brain is developing correctly and normally.

I agree that, even though it's really hard to do, you're going to have to dig in your heels and not give in no matter if they scream all day...otherwise they quickly learn that tantrums are useful to get what they want.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 10:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• First make sure that she is not sick. At that age, they cannot always said what is bothering them and they get frustrated and they acted up. Second if she does not have a fever or tummy ache or other ailment then she is testing the waters. Discipline her, be firm, consistent and please do not give in into her wishes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:22 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Actually if you walk away from the tantrums....they will stop
    I have 4 kids and no matter where we were at if they threw a fit I walked away and if we were in public I walk away enough for ME to be out of site, but not them, kinda like spying on them just don't get caught.
    When they see that tantrums are not going to get attention or results and calm down, then explain clearly how you feel and validate their feelings.
    EX; Yes honey I know you want the toy and I understand but you will have to wait.~ then if tantrum starts again, walk away, again. It's all about trial and error plus be CONSISTENT.
    If tantrums are violent then, sit on the floor hold the child close and calmly tell them they can get up when they are done crying.
    If you handle everything calmly and are consistent 3's won't be so bad.........However 3's are worse if you do not deal with tantrums now.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2010