road signs on private property (so to speak)

I know people that insist that in a parking lot, you can just run the stop sign. Claiming it's not a 'legal' stop sign, so you don't have to stop. The idea being that supposedly you won't get a ticket-

anyone else do that? I've talked to police officers who said it's not true-
any comments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Even if it isn't zoned and not enforced by local authorities, my opinion is that the stop sign was placed where it is for a certain reason, which means I am going to stop before proceeding so that I keep myself and anyone else safe.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:01 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My Dh is a cop, and they cannot give you a ticket for a traffic violation on private property. Traffic signs on private property are not zoned properly and if you did get a ticket you could fight it and you would always win because it is not a zoned traffic control area.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 6:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• thanks truealaskanmom- I still think you should stop for safety though- but thanks for the informed response!
    Anonymous

• it depends on where you live. here signs in parking lots mean nothing legally. if you run a stop and get in to an accident IN a parking lot NO ONE is ticketed. which is STUPID
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2010