Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how to get out of a abusive relationship..with 2 kids???

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Relationships

Answers (9)
  • Call your local police department and ask them for a list of battered women & children's shelters. Or you can go there, and they'd be willing to take you there.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

  • does he work or do anything else outside the home where you could get a chance to call the police about getting help to get out and get to a battered women's shelter? your other choice too would be to take ONLY what you have to have. IE identification, childrens birth certificates and social security cards, a change of cllothers, the kids and RUN. go to a neighbors house and call a shelfter from there

    Answer by sati769leigh at 7:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

  • yes but he's planning to use our tax refund to move all of us to a bigger house . i don't think he realizes how bad i want to leave him. it will be in my bank account in a month or so but i don't know if i can wait that long.. what would you do??? i don't want my kids to be around this anymore all he does is work , drink, play video games the whole time he's home or on the computer. any time i talk to him we fight. he tells me to say another word and he will fuck me up. so i'm scared so i put on a smile and pretend it's great. my family has no idea what he's is or how he is. please need more advise.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:03 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

    check it out. it will help.

    Answer by tafania at 7:25 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

  • Call your local domestic violence shelter's counselor and get a plan.

    Answer by admckenzie at 8:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

  • Every county has a women's resource center/ shelter. They can talk with you about a plan, places to stay, finances, etc. They can even help you get a lawyer, maybe free.

    1. When you leave, never plan on coming back. Not even for a toy or clothes or anything. That item is gone. Have documents and bank statements and utility bills-- everything, in a folder. Get it together some time while he is at work. You need these financial records.
    2. File a temporary protective order the day you leave. They are almost always free. You will have to go in person to the clerk of courts.
    3. If you have any medical records or photographs of injuries, you will need those for your custody hearing and protective order hearing.
    4. File for divorce AFTER you file the protective order. You can do it the same day in most places. There is usually a fee for filing for divorce.

    Answer by ecodani at 8:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

  • 5. do NOT call him. DO NOT answer your phone. Nothing. no contact. Once you are gone you are gone. He will say anything to get you to come back. Abusers need their victims.
    6. Tell someone, anyone that you are leaving. A family member, a friend, your minister. This is not the time to be embarrassed or shy. This is about your safety.
    7. If he has weapons, take them with you. You can surrender them to the county police. This is not theft. You are married. It is marital property.

    You can do it. You can PM me if you need more support. You have to just do it. No one is ever going to hold leaving against you. It's for the safety of your babies.

    Answer by ecodani at 8:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

  • Guardian Angels...


    We have ALL been through enough!

    This is a safe place that you can come to cry, vent or release your frustrations even if you are not ready to leave your abuser yet.


    Everyone here from the Group Owner to the Administrators have once walked in your shoes.
    We are NOT professionals, but rather a group of women offering our support based on our personal experiences.

    We are a very active and informative group.
    Please take the time to read posted information & add to it, in order to help others.
    Please read our guidelines and cafemom's, before applying.

    This is a support group.

    We are here for each other.

    Come to MY PROFILE--MAIL ME!!!!!!

    Answer by SissyAnn141 at 9:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

  • Please contact the National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-SAFE (7233)

    Answer by rkoloms at 5:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.