skin cancer in a child(?)

i have a history of melanoma which was removed about 2 yrs ago w/o further incident. melanoma is a risk factor for my children b/c of me...

i always check their skin and recently found a circular almost black spot on the bottom (sole) of my 4 yr old boys foot (toward the heal but on the sole of the foot) and it's small almost like it was drawn by a black permanent marker (like a dot)

does anyone have any experience w weird moles/ freckles and the dr. will they need to do a biopsy or will they simply wait it out.

i would rather do the biopsy to know BUT was hoping someone had any advice and was willing to provide ANY info on this. TIA mamas :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Do the biopsy. Better safe than sorry. Because children are developing their immune system they are at risk of catching it all including cancer. The other group at risk of cancer are older people because their immune systems are starting to shut down. But if your child is at risk, it is better to catch it early on.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 7:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My son has several freckles and our doctor said if it was smaller than the end of a pencil eraser they wouldn't do anything to it or worry about it. The one they said this about is on his arm and it's really dark. Looks almost like a mole it's so dark. So I would bring it up to your pedi asap, but I don't think they will do much. My hubby has a freckle on the bottom of his foot. It's weird, but it's there. LOL!
    chelleybeans

Answer by chelleybeans at 1:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Well they will begin to develope freckles around this age. If you are really worried I would call the dr but you should check pictures of moles, freckles and such. I know my DD has a mole on her arm(she is 3) she has had it since just after she was born, I had never seen one on a child but the dr said it is okay.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 7:50 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• OP here: i called the ped and they will se him today to eval :)... i read online that if there is ANYTHING on the bottom of the foot (sole) or palm of hand it should be looked at just in case... there is a kind of melanoma known to appear in those spots.. and b/c i've had melanoma it worried me, of course... i will let you guys know what he says... BUT prob nothing -- can I ASK for a biopsy?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:21 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• beyond getting this checked out, you may want to investigate diets to prevent cancer. it can't hurt. you also may want to think about what it is you put on your skin as well, since you fear a susceptibility to skin cancer. i would only put natural products on my skin, i would look for all natural sun blocks as well, but not to think of that as a free pass to be in the sun...sun blocks don't allow proper skin respiration either. sun in limited quantities is actually good for you, this is how you get vit d...just not so much sun that you burn. good luck with the health of your lo and for you too!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• just an update, in case anyone care, lol... the spot went away RIGHT before the scheduled biopsy :) i was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO relieved! thank you girls for the reply :)
    Anonymous