Can you get your nails done while pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Paint and polish are fine. If you are getting acrylics, hold off until your 2nd trimester. The fumes are really not good for you. The chemicals you can inhale in a nail salon are linked to so many serious health problems.

Be careful about cuticle cutting, whirlpools for your feet, or other instruments that can potentially spread bacteria. Most pregnant women are more susceptible to infection. Check the salon's credentials-- they should be posted. The health dept inspects them.

Also, you could suddenly have an allergy to any of the products that you used to be fine with. Some women become allergic to lotions, acrylic nails, or polish removers. You don't want to have an allergic reaction in your 1st trimester. I'd do a quick coat of paint at home and wait it out a few weeks to be on the safe side.

My mom became allergic to acrylics after having my brother. It was AWFUL!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• There is a chemical that gives off formaldehyde in polish. I'm allergic to it. It's best to do your nails outside or get special formaldehyde free polish - formaldehyde isn't good for pregnant moms. Nail salons are bad because of the fumes.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 7:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• yes,
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• this is bs yes you can just make sure there is a vent or fan so u arent getting high on fumes...
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 7:49 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I agree with miss nevin all da other posts are bs i have never heard of such things but you can get your nails done i did with all mine and da fumes weren't strong anyway so get em done
    lilmechi225

Answer by lilmechi225 at 7:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• they say yes as long as you are in a well ventalated room sorry for the misspell
    Anonymous