how much did it cost you to have your child?

We had insurance but my son had some issues after birth/ i had a emergency c section/ and my son stayed in NICU for over a week..
Our insurance made us pay 9,000 out of pocket for both of use. his total bill was 64,000 isnt that insane!! 9 is still alot to be paying out of pocket for us!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Our home birth fees are $2500: all prenatal care including urine testing, pre-birth home visit, birth (with midwife and assistant), postpartum care for 6 weeks (home visits and office visits).

ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I had my son by c-section and it cost us around $10,000 and that isn't including the $75.00 co-pay we had everytime we went in for our check ups..I remember that because we had to refinance my husbands truck to pay the hospital bill... our last insurance sucked sooooooo bad I hope this new one is better.. So far so good our co-pay now is $20 which I can handle
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 7:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I was in the hospital for a little over a week. I had an emergency c-section at 26 weeks. My daughter spent 87 days in the NICU. She cost well over $1 million. I have no idea how much we actually paid out of pocket. I know it was nowhere near $9000! DH and I both had separate insurance back then, so what one didn't cover for DD the other one did. Most of the out of pocket cost was for my expenses.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 7:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• OMG randilinn! $75 co pay! eek ours were 35 now they are 25 so the next time we have a baby it wont hit us so hard hopefully. Wow im still shocked it was 75 bucks! I know it adds up!
    Anonymous

• Yeah and the Doctor only charged $110 per visit.. what a saving..lol Thank goodness my husband's work changed insurance or we wouldn't even be having another child..lol
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 7:55 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• lovinmystar wow! We both experienced the emergency c sections and premature labor it looks like! I am just baffled on how much hospitals and doctors charge! Especially NICU! i think everyday my son spent in nicu without me submitted in the hospital it was like 3000 a day! Im just curious if other had the same or even more outragous bills!!
    Anonymous

• because my husband or I didnt have a job i recived a medical card that covers everything except for prenatal vitamins....and i always get a private room which the insurance card doesnt cover of course...i pay around $12 a month on vitamins and the private room is $50....so i paid $158.....which is nothing compared to most....that why I love pikeville KY

CafeMom Tickers
    rosie2guns

Answer by rosie2guns at 8:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• haha yes major savings going on there! same here though randilinn. WE now have a new one so only time will tell to see how much better it is :)
    Anonymous

• My sister had her baby at 23 weeks and she was in the NICU for 2 months then she passed but her bill I remember was well over 1 million dollars.. I think they averaged her to be like $9,000 or $10,000 per day.. it was shocking when they sent the bill..
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 8:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My out-of-hospital waterbirths were free to me~ completely covered by state insurance.
    They would have charged me about 2-5 thousand depending on if I were at home or the birth center, I am guessing.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 8:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2010