portable potty versus insert on big potty?

which one did your/does your LO like better or found easier? I have a 3 in 1 potty for my son. I ask because some think the big potty w/ insert is the best route because the big potty is where they end up in the end, but some find the portable potty easier because you can move it around the house......

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• walmart has one that you can do both, use it as a portable and take it out and insert it into the big potty. i bought that one, just to end up not using it. it's easier to sit him on the actual potty, that way when we were out in public and he had to go potty he wouldn't freak about being on the big potty, and i wouldn't have to carry a portable one everywhere i went.
    Anonymous

• Since you can buy one of each for a total of about $22, we got both and had them on hand. And we were glad we did ... the stand-alone potty chair we carried around the house with us as our daughter did her first few diaper-free days (that's how we started training), but we soon learned she actually much preferred the "big girl" potty (potty ring). We brought the potty ring with us for public outings for the first month or so to ensure she wouldn't fear those big toilets, but we carried the portable in our trunk for car drives of an hour or more in case we couldn't get to a gas station in time (she was young -- 19 months -- when she trained).
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• we were going to use the portable one because we had one, but she thinks its a game or a toy, so we are going to have to use the ones that go on the toilet. we havent got one yet, but i need to because i think she is at the point where she might be getting ready to learn. i am kind of excited, but i know it will be a lot of work.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• my son treats the portable one like a toy too. Tonight i had him try on his training undies for fun, since I just bought them today, and he had an accident on the floor. I rushed him to the portable potty. he was done by the time I put him on it lol but he sat on the potty for a few minutes. I think the more you associate the portable potty as a place to go poo or pee, the more the LO will realize it isnt a toy, but a potty.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:04 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• i'm the OP by the way....I dont know why I am anon in the OP lol
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 9:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My daughter didn't get serious about potty training until we ditched the little potty and just had her use the big one.
    Anonymous

• I have one that does both. I left the potty chair in the great room where she spends the most time when she was training. Once she got it time and was able to hold it longer, I move it to the bathroom and left it on the floor. Then I moved her to the toilet and used the potty as a step stool and the seat goes on the toilet. She's almost three and getting to the point where she doesn't want the seat anymore. She thinks she's too big for it. :)
    Anonymous

• I cant stand potty chairs. I hate to empty poo out of them. BLECK!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:10 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My son did not like the little potty. He ddn't care to use it one bit. I thought maybe he wasn't ready for potty training, but as soon as I bought the insert for the toilet he was potty trained almost immeadiately! He is like that in a lot of ways too. He doesn't want to do "little kid" things, he wants to do the same things as all the older people do.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2010