Can people not smell that!

This is sort of a question/rant. You expect little old ladies who wear perfume to put a little too much on. But when it is teens or young adults you just have to wonder if they've never heard of bathing and are just trying to cover it up. Or do they think they have to be smothered in strong scents to attract someone? Pepi La Pew may have won girly skunks that way, but I don't see woman dropping at the feet of any young man wearing axe body spray. In Taco bell tonight there were two teens and I could literally smell them across the room. It was so bad it gave me a headache. Plz parents, teach your children to use perfume/body spray appropriately. My nose will thank you!

SalemWitchChild

Asked by SalemWitchChild at 8:11 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree. A perfume or cologne is supposed to be subtle. Everyone shouldn't be able to taste it!
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 8:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Strong scents give me a migraine and make me sick to my stomach. You are correct, this is just nasty.
    Anonymous

• I detest strong smells, but I apparently inherited a bloodhound gene somewhere. I'm always the first person to detect a smell in my house. It's always "Chelle, is this still good? Does this smell right? Do I smell sour milk?" I literally can smell my stinky brother and his wife from across the yard when they visit. Ugh. Perfume is awful, when overdone. A soft, subtle scent is okay, but not half the bottle, please.
    Anonymous

• lol I totally agree with you OP. LESS IS MORE PEOPLE! UGH!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• is it just me or is it the people that smoke that seem to do that the most?
    Sense of smell gone from smoking?

and why bother with perfume if you smoke? then you just smell like smoke and perfume mixed?
    Anonymous

• My sister has this problem. I think she has fired her nose and can no longer smell properly. When we lived together she would go in her room and shut the door to out on her perfume. when she would come out a cloud of fragrance would follow. So gross! That was 13 years ago and she still does it. UGH!
    MillyPontipee

Answer by MillyPontipee at 8:54 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I AGREE WITH U ! !
    Anonymous

• BTW my DH smokes and no he doesn't use too much. He doesn't wear it often but when he does its just a little bit. He knows how sensitive I am to strong smells. It gives me a major headache to be around anyone with cologne or body spray. I don't wear any that often either.

This has also been on my mind because I just allowed my DD to pick out her own body spray. I instructed her how to spray one spray into the air and walk through the mist. That way its not too strong. I just wonder if parents are not paying attention or they just plain don't care if their kids stink.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I know that people of all ages do this but in the case of the kids at the Taco Bell, I think it has to do with learning their way around it. Kids who are starting puberty are aware that they have started to smell and certainly don't want to be conspicuous with it. I 'll bet they would choose conspicuousness from perfume over obvious body odor. They just don't know how to gauge how much to use, or what to expect from their bodies.
    Anonymous

• I think some people use perfume/cologne in place of bathing. I can't stand people drenched in smelly stuff.
    Anonymous