Are you supposed to give your dog a bath in the winter time?

We live up in Alaska, and I have been told a few people here that we are not supposed to give them baths in the winter time because they produce this oil for their skin to help keep them warm and if they get a bath it will wash away the special oil and cause them to be very cold in the cold winters that we have here. Has anyone heard of this as well?

ReginaGallo

Asked by ReginaGallo at 8:36 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Pets

• U CAN GIVE THRM A BATH BUT U NEED TO DRY THEM EVERY GOOD , U CAN USE A HAIR DRYER ! !
    Anonymous

• I am an ex-groomer. You can bathe them in the winter. Just make sure they are completley dry before going out. Also you don't want to do it very often bc it can dry out their skin since the air is so dry anyway. I do my dogs about once every 4-6 weeks in the winter and every other week when it is warm.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I agree with Carajust
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2010