• In the Spotlight:

Extra Ecclesiam nulla salus

Will one of the more knowledgeable Catholics explain this. I am putting this in its own question so I can control it, and turn in any bashing or off topic responses.

and if you could put into words what Vatican II clearly said.

I don't have a good way to put it, but I do know the important part is the Church does not just include those that walk into a Catholic Church

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 8:46 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• google or bing the answer
    Anonymous

• It's Latin for "Outside the Church there is no Salvation" as the Catechism says. This does NOT mean that does not mean that only faithful Catholics can be saved. The Church has never taught that. It basically has three parts: (1) Jesus Christ is the universal Savior. (2) He has constituted his Church as His mystical body on earth through which he dispenses salvation to the world. (3) He always works through it—though in countless instances outside its visible boundaries.

So it's that third point that I think you're referencing. People who have never had an opportunity to hear of Christ and his Church—and those Christians whose minds have been closed to the truth of the Church by their conditioning—are not necessarily cut off from God’s mercy. (continued)
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:26 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Vatican II phrases the doctrine in these two terms:

"Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their consciences—those too may achieve eternal salvation."

"Since Christ died for all, and since all men are in fact called to one and the same destiny, which is divine, we must hold that the Holy Spirit offers to all the possibility of being made partakers, in a way known to God, of the Paschal mystery"
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:28 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• And The Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches:

"Every man who is ignorant of the gospel of Christ and of his Church but seeks the truth and does the will of God in accordance with his understanding of it can be saved. It may be supposed that such persons would have desired baptism explicitly if they had known its necessity"

So it's not just being ignorant of the Truth - but also an "implicit desire" or "longing" that can exist in the hearts of those who seek God. Someone who longs for salvation but does not know the divinely established means of salvation, is said to have an implicit desire for membership in the Church.

No Salvation Outside the Church is a helpful article.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• It's Latin for "Outside the Church there is no Salvation" as the Catechism says. This does NOT mean that does not mean that only faithful Catholics can be saved. The Church has never taught that.

Thanks Eringobrough, as always you have the patience to put this all out. I know this is going to be cherry picked and torn apart so I am quoting the above one more time. If I am correct, this is the same thing that says it is possible for atheist to have rewards in heaven. Or as I tell my kids, God opens the gates not us. We do not say who will or will not get into heaven.

Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 9:38 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• "Or as I tell my kids, God opens the gates not us. We do not say who will or will not get into heaven."

good

whittear

Answer by whittear at 9:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• We can always have hope in God's mercy. It's possible that at the very last second before death that anyone (even an athiest) could to come to the realization and acceptance of Christ as our Savior. Doing good works and being nice people won't earn us heaven - but a desire/longing to serve God; someone seeking God with a sincere heart - even if they don't quite know who God is or what He wants - could mean that person is be part of the mystical Body of Christ - the church - even without being a formal member of the Catholic Church.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Really glad that this was cleared up. I was begining not to feel safe asking Catholic questions here. Thank You;)

Anonymous

• This point was brought up on another post (that will proably be deleted by the OP) so I wanted to put the references here as well. There was a Catholic priest (Fr. Feeney) and others who believe that the Catholic Church teaches that one must be a formal member of the Catholic Church to be saved. The Catholic Church has clearly said that this is not true and that it's a misinterpretation of Catholic teachings. Here are references for anyone interested:

The Case Against Fr. Feeney

AN EXAMINATION OF THE 3 DE FIDE DECREES ON ‘NO SALVATION OUTSIDE THE CHURCH 

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 11:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2010