First Communion

My daughter is making her First Communion this year. We have two kids that already received their First Holy Communion they had a party and cake with all the relatives invited. I think they received thirty dollars maybe a little more. About $5 from each relative.

I would like to take my daughter out for breakfast this year and skip the party. The party cost about $100 and I just don't have the money.

Would I be wrong to not give my daughter a party as I did the older two?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• sounds good
    Anonymous

• Can the family come to breakfast? I'm sure they want to spend it together.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:00 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• You could always do breakfast with any relatives that want to join you and then have your own little party with cake in the evening with just your family. That way everybody is included and she still gets her "party".
    Anonymous

• I thought about inviting them to breakfast, but I wouldn't be able to pay for breakfast for the entire family would it be acceptable to ask them to pay for their own plate?
    Anonymous

• I don't think it's wrong but she may question why her siblings did and not her. How about saving money from your tax return?

Anonymous

• You could do it in a round-about way, like say "We don't have a lot of extra cash for a party right now so we are taking her to breakfast afterward and you are more than welcome to join us!"
    Anonymous

• Oh,Yes,It would be totally acceptable to ask them to pay for their own plates;) We are having our vow blessed and the children baptised at Easter vigil(easter the next day). I am going to have some cake and punch at our home afterward but since ppl will here from outta town,Easter supper is (up in the air). I am thinking about us going out to eat and asking that all pay for their own. We Also have a dd that will have her first communion on the 18th.
    Anonymous

• You don't need a party. Family should understand anyway, just tell them "Money is tight for us right now so we are celebrating quietly, we would love for everyone to come to the church and we are going out to breakfast afterwards if anyone wants to come we would love the company."

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• We're in the same situation this year along with two graduations. DD from college and OS from paramedics school. Also I'm having a hip replacement. So money is very short. very very short. For all the kids I wouldn't dream of not having some sort of get together for the family.I'm making all the cakes and having a weenie roast with chips and kool aid. If they want Adult beverages or pop they will have to bring it themselves. Also knowing my BIL and others someone will bring burgers and a few side dishes. It's not fair to the younger one to not do what was done for the others. They will remember it. Just explain that things are tight so the food won't be as much.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 5:20 AM on Feb. 5, 2010