do your kids play with toy guns of any kind? and how do you feel about them?

water guns, pop guns, ...if you are against them do you take the guns away from the action figures?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 9:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• yes i allow my child to play with toy guns of all sorts. my 9 year old has a real BB gun as well.
    Anonymous

• Yes, they have always been able to play with toy guns.. Our 13 yr old got his first real gun when he was 11. He also took a gun safety course and had to pass it before he was able to shoot it. Our other 2 boys will have to do the same.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I was determined that my sons wouldn't have play guns. It was a surprise to me when every toy they had they made into a gun- tinker toys, cars, everything they could pick up, they played shoot em up with.

Answer by Bmat at 9:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• my 12 yr old has a real gun. whats the big deal about toy guns and parents??
    Anonymous

• I really don't like guns. However, I have noticed that even if I didn't let my son have toy guns, he would make guns out of Lego, out of K'nex, out of a stick on the ground, out of his finger... pretty much whatever he could point with and shout 'bang!' After that I decided that making guns taboo might do more harm than good, instead we talk a lot about the difference between pretend play and reality and how it's fun to pretend but in real life guns are dangerous and can kill you or someone else. I don't expect we will have any real guns at any time. It's just not common in our area, the only people I know with guns happen to be police officers.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 9:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• no toy guns. we have water wands in the summer. but he is not allowed to aim directly at someone
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• No toy guns here and my son doesn't like action figures.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 9:18 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• No, they dont play with toy guns.

We will not buy them any kind of real looking gun. If they get anything gun-like it will be water guns. Too many people buy those fake guns that look super real and then trouble happens and I dont want that around my family.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• op here..i let my son play with his action figure guys and their little guns and water guns..i've never bought him a toy gun that looks real. I don't think i will ever buy him a bb gun ...maybe if he is a little older but he is still way too young. I was just asking because i read in the news about a kid getting suspended for bring a action figure with a toy gun to school. i was thinking how crazy it was!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• No, we don't allow toy guns or pretend shooting.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 9:37 PM on Feb. 4, 2010