9 month old hoarse?

My son woke up today and he's hoarse. He's nine months and is cutting his third tooth right now. SO and I tried letting him CIO the other night because we're trying to break him out of the habit of sleeping in our bed. He cried for like a hour. Is he hoarse from the crying or teething? He doesn't seem to have a cold and he's not really fussy. What else could it be and should I call his doctor in the morning or just wait it out? Thanks in advance.

ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Asked by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 9:41 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• his vocal cords are probably strained from CIO last night, wouldn't bother w/ dr, just let his voice rest. If he's teething you may wanna wait to transition him to his own bed, lots of changes for a little one! He wants the comfort of what he's known while his mouth hurts :( I found the best thing for my dd when teething was a wooden spoon.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• um, it's not like I let him scream bloody freakin murder; I would go and check on him, console him then come back to bed, and I checked on him every 15 minutes. It's called cry it out for a reason, & I dont think 9 months is too young. I've read in my parents magazine of mothers doing it at as young as 4-5 months.
    ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Answer by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 11:51 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I did put him to sleep? I didn't just drop him in his bed and said, okay bye. He got up around 2 crying, I consoled him back to sleep, he woke up about every 10 minutes and I would only let him cry for about five minutes before I went to console him again. & that was the FIRST time I ever tried CIO or left him alone to cry. I was just curious if him being hoarse could be from teething as well.
    ammbbbeeeerrrrr

Answer by ammbbbeeeerrrrr at 1:08 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Being hoarse could be from teething but not as likely.

I think every mom needs to do what they feel is best for them and their baby. Good luck with getting him into his own bed, it's not easy. :)
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 5:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Babies don't get horse from teething. They get horse from screeming.

The idea that every mom need to do what's she thinks is best is crazy!

Sleeping with mother isn't a habit to break. It's hardwiring in human baby's brain. For all of human history and still in most places human babies have slept next to their mothers, woke at night and breastfed until they are around 3 or so. That's the way human babies survive. Their cries when they aren't with their moms are so pathetic because they think they might die. People are more understanding of animal babies than they are of human babies.

CIO has consequences. Damaged vocal cords is one. Damaged relationships with people is another is another. Babies learn their needs won't be met, they learn to give up. Babies need to be with others at night.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2010