What do you think of this letter?

From 9/11 Widows, a Plea to Respect Sacred Ground
Pub. Feb 4, 2010
To the Editor NY Times:

Re “Turning Trash Piles Into a Bird-Watcher’s Paradise”
(article, Jan. 26):

We know that scattered pieces of our loved ones have found a final resting place at the Fresh Kills landfill on Staten Island. We have had to make peace with that since no one wants to spend the money to move them.

Therefore, we feel that it is only fitting that all victims’ families immediately send headstones to be reverently placed on the garbage mounds. In this way, we will be assured that no one will indeed ever forget, nor will we have to be alerted by the media about heinous activity at this sacred, albeit disgusting, site.

Consequently, bird watchers and others can feel free to bird watch, or aimlessly wander, around the stones. We of course apologize for any inconvenience.

Monica Gabrielle
Mindy Kleinberg

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• huh
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:48 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I feel sad for the person who wrote it, because from the sounds of it they lost someone (or more than one someone) who was important to them in the attacks on Sept 11. It sounds like they are in pain, and that they are angry, and that they are frustrated because they feel as if their loved ones are being brushed aside and forgotten about.

I can sympathize with their frustration as to how the debris from the site is being handled, but at the same time, I also sympathize that there is a lot of debris, and that there is only so much that can be done with it. (I openly admit that I don't know what the day to day workings are there, so I don't know if the letter writer's feelings, while genuine, are unreasonable or not.)

While nothing will ever bring their loved ones back, I hope that they are able to come to some sort of peace.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:02 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• "huh"

FYI

Search for 9/11 remains continues with a $1.4 million sifting operation

BY FRANK LOMBARDI
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Saturday, January 30th 2010, 4:00 AM
    .
    In an ongoing search for remains of 9/11 victims, more material gathered from excavations near the World Trade Center site will be sifted in a $1.4 million operation starting in April.

City officials said yesterday the three-month sifting operation will be conducted at the Fresh Kills former landfill on Staten Island

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/01/30/2010-01-30_search_for_911_remains_goes_on.html#ixzz0ectJgIGC
    Anonymous

• I would be angry too if my loved ones remains were treated like that. There is no excuse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I think it's very disrespectful of the dead and their loved ones to do such a thing. I would be very angry too.
    chocaholic888

Answer by chocaholic888 at 1:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree, it's a horrible way to treat the remains. But, and I truly mean this with all respect, how else do you propose going about it - we're talking how many thousands of tons of material that's being searched through to find remains that are sometimes smaller than a fingernail. And where else do you propose they store it?

I truly truly truly do not mean any disrespect, it was a horrible day, it was a horrible way for those poor people to die, and it's a horrible thing for their families and friends to still have to live with, and it's a horrible way to have to go through to find the remains. But, I honestly don't see how there's any other alternative other than to pile it up and sift through it all.

But I do think that by this point, it should have all been gone through.

Unless the remains were left "in place" - like the ones who died in Pearl Harbor on the sunken ships.

A tragedy all around :-(
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 1:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I'll be honest here... I think it's crazy to dig through tons and tons of crap looking for remains. How much do they really expect to be left? Bones? How are they going to figure out whose parts are whose? DNA test everything? I can't imagine the smell, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. While I do think it's terrible what happendon 9/11, people have to be reasonable.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I think that this is one more proof of the lack of respect that the victims of 9-11 have received.
    Just look at all the first responders still dying today, forgotten by the government and media and often without proper medical care. It is a disgrace.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2010