Is it cheaper to wash 5 loads of laundry at home or at the the $1.50 laundrymat??

Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 10:09 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Money & Work

• to me being able to do laundry at home has always been cheaper. ESP with a washer and dryer that can fit my comforters!!! i HATE the laundrymat
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 10:14 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• when my washer worked i paid landlord 4.00 a week for water bill...my laundry was alway done dh would get mad cause he throw socks in it and low and behold no clothes in there now that my washer is broken im back to laundry matt and to wash all me, dh, and 2 kids laundry its about 20.00 bucks. forget it if i need to wash a blanket. dh has finally seen what i mean when i say its cheaper home and less of a hassle.. ( its a pain to go to laundry matt with a toddler ) and seeing how i only have so much money only must need things get washed so our basket in my room is always full..doing laundry this weekend...so to answer question..for me cheaper to do it home.
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• well, that depends on where u are starting from. if you ahve to buy a washer (and possibly a dryer) thats an expense. but u also have the expense of gas/bus/taxi going to and from the laundry mat. there is also the cost of convience. u can sit at home cleaning other things while the wasner is going, or you can sit at the laundry mat for an hr, reading a book and entertaining children.
    my laundry soap is around 9 bucks a bottle, and 5 bucks for dryer sheets that will do 25 washes and about 50 drys.. i just got a brand new washer and it said it would use 30 bucks a year in electricity. i hope these jumbled thoughts make sense lol
    Anonymous

• I'm with tabbys4. I have to go there with my 20 month old son. Can anyone say pain in the ass? I hate them. They're dirty, expensive, and waste tons of time.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 10:19 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 10:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• At home you don't pay to do your laundry. The only thing you buy (Aside from your water bill) is the laundry soap and dryer tabs. You can do an upteen amount of loads considerably cheaper then and a laundromat.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I would think to wash them at home would be cheaper since you're not spending the gas money to go to/from, and if the machine doesn't get things dry or clean enough you're not spending the extra money to re-do what you've already done (those coins add up quick). If you go out you have to buy laundry soap just like if you do your laundry at home, so aside from a little more water being used at home you're actually not paying much to do your laundry in the comfort of your own place... plus you get a bonus of getting to watch a movie of your choice while folding laundry :-)
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 11:33 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• My water bill, for a family of 4, is $30 a month. That includes water used for washing clothes (I do approx. 8 loads a week), doing dishes and taking showers. My electric bill varies bit iI have a brand new, enery efficient dryer so whatever I use to dry clothes doesn't use much electricity. In a month, if you did 5 loads a week at the laundry mat, you would spend $30 JUST on laundry.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:12 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I think it is cheaper to wash at home, especially since I would have to drive quite a distance to the closest laundrymat-- and then add the cost of gas onto what is spent on washing and drying at the laundrymat-- it gets expensive.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree with the others. Not to mention the time that is wasted. At home you can be doing other productive things besides waiting on your laundry. Our water bill is $19 a month and I use cloth diapers that I wash (2 wash cycles) every other day.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:16 AM on Feb. 5, 2010