Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

13 yr old boy dies from choking on a weenie! How can this happen?

Boys n Girls Club in San Pedro was having a hot dog eating contest to raise money for Haiti. There was staff there! Which is the part that surprises me when I found out a 13 yo boy died on Tues from choking on a weenie last Friday.
It scares me to think that this can happen to my toddler but to think it can still happen to a 13yo in front of adults!

 
Vero0724

Asked by Vero0724 at 10:12 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Kids' Health

Level 17 (3,530 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (6)
  • Well anyone can die from choking... no matter the age an no matter if there are people to help... sometimes you just can't get it back out! But if the contest was Friday and he died Tuesday I would bet he might have gotten food all the way down in his lungs which caused an infection and then he might have died from that.
    I did CPR on a man that choked on a pancake... he didn't make it either... and I was trained as well as the RN I was with at the time (I was still a nursing student) we were trained and couldn't same him (EMS clearly didn't have any luck either) so people that aren't trained will have a more difficult time.
    AmiJanell

    Answer by AmiJanell at 11:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

  • strange
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

  • He was also likely shoving them into his mouth recklessly. It is sad for sure, but it was an accident. I assume you watch your toddler pretty carefully. Make sure you cut them in half lengthwise as well as width wise.
    SleepingBeautee

    Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:15 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

  • a hotdog eating contest...he was probably sucking them down and thats how he got choked. I'm 26 and sometimes strangle and choke...it happens to everyone
    shay1130

    Answer by shay1130 at 10:16 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

  • It's actually not that un common when kids are fooling around while eating-- if the hot dog got stuck "the right way" it would be nearly impossible to have saved him-- this past summer an 8 y/o was joking around and got an ear of corn stuck-- she was 30 ft from the hospital at a BBQ when it happened she died of choking --if the food is stuck right nothings going to save you-- for toddlers watch out for those carrots-- major choke hazard
    MELRN

    Answer by MELRN at 10:17 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

  • the contest was Friday and he died on Tuesday?
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN