Help me just alittle

okay someone help me out, so my 3 year old whines and cries about everything, and i mean everything, if he doesnt get what he wants and i tried to tell him to stop whining or he goes in time out and then he just cries and cries and cries and i dont even know what to do anymore.
I tell him no its too late for this or you already had 4 cups of milk in an hour u need to eat ur lunch first and he just cries. he doesnt lissen at all and when I tell him to stop he just screams NO, and if i tell him fine then go to ur wrong he just tells me NO, and then if i just put him in his room he just screams and screams and screams.. what do i do now.. how do i fix this his sister does everything he does now she is starting to do it too and she is only 2

miss_nevin

Asked by miss_nevin at 11:20 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ignore him, because when you give in, he knows it will only take some time to get his way.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:22 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Starting first thing in the morning, every time he throws a fit, put him in his room as soon as he starts, and ignore him. Tell him once, "No more milk, one cup is enough until after you eat." Then if he asks again or starts to cry, scream or argue, put him in his room. It will be really hard at first and he will test you to see if you mean it, but in a few days, it will start getting better.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:34 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• see I tried this cause thats what my mom said BUT he goes in his room and just starts kicking and screaming he is kicking the door and the wall and stuff.. im just ready to give up sometimes.. its really hard he wont put his shoes on when i have to go to work he just screams and cries and he wont get in the car, he wont, put on his jacket well now my 2 year old is the same way.. she started the scream no with an attitude.. he refuses to nap, refuses to go to bed, he screams all night long and we are talking till 6 am then he sleeps for 2 hours and is back up and wont nap all day and then even if i put him in his room he screams and I have timed it, one night he screamed for 4 hours.. I am just at the end.. this has to stop
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 11:40 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• you need to talk to your pediatrician..not trying to scare you, but maybe there is something else going on that is making him behave like he does. good luck.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:50 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• You need to make your life more routine and your rules predictable. Milk at certain times. Snack at certain times. If it's not predictable -- in other words, if he sometimes has "four cups of milk in an hour" why should he NOT think that he can get more? IT will take some time. Sometimes we're afraid of too many rules, that we'll piss off our kids -- but kids actually THRIVE on rules. It helps them understand their world. Once you have your routine in place, you should offer choices -- these choices should be of the either/or variety. Would you like string cheese or apples and peanut butter for snack? Do you want your water in a blue cup or an orange one? Would you like to wear this sweatshirt or that one today? When he has a fit, stay as calm as possible. Just repeat yourself, in a calm voice, like a broken record: "It's not time for milk right now, you already had your morning milk." It may be a period of adjustment...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• ... but if you are consistent with it, it will get better. THink of short term pain for long term comfort... so fight your battles for a few days or weeks in the interest of not having a monster on your hands. Kids will throw fits. Even the ones with predictable routines. But we've kept life really predictable and when my daughter makes a demand for something she just isn't allowed to do... a second show in the same day, more milk after her after-nap cup... she'll cry for a second and then move on.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 8:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2010