nicu

How did u bound wit your baby? My doctor told me 2day there is no way im make it 2 my due date

kadmomma

Asked by kadmomma at 11:29 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in General Parenting

• My son was in the NICU for a week. I know it's not long, but it was devastating that I was checked out without him. I just stayed there all the time and only left to eat and sleep. I pumped to bring my milk in until I could feed him and then I established breastfeeding as quickly as possible. I did all of his care instead of letting the nurse do it as soon as they would let me. I smiled, hugged, held, and cuddled him as much as possible.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 11:32 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• Wow Kem our stories sound VERY similar! My dd was in the NICU for a week. Originally they told me it could be SIX weeks! I was SO upset. VERY grateful that wasnt the case. Bonding was NOT a problem. I pumped breast milk too and was there for all but the night feedings. Some of the nurses got on my nerves! They tend to hover ALOT and correct EVERYTHING you do. I was running the pad of my thumb back and forth on my dd's hand, she was FINE, and the nurse who was nearby said "preemies dont like that". Kinda ticked me off. I never felt like my baby didnt know me or that we werent connected. I think sometimes there is WAY too much stress put on the bonding issue! You will do great mama...and just because you go early doesnt guarantee NICU!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I had twins who were born 9 weeks early and the delivery was a horrible experience. I didn't see them until they were 3 hours old and I didn't hold my son for the first week after he was born. This did not in anyway prevent me from bonding with them. I would sit and touch them and watch them you learn about them when they are in the NICU. Also when I was able to hold them we would go to a small room and just hold them to our chest and be with them. You bond because of the things you are doing now, asking questions and worrying about your baby.
    RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 11:44 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• cont....

Leaving the hospital for the first time without them was really weird. I kept looking at the hospital in the rear view mirror as we drove home. I was wondering if that really just happened I gave birth and my babies are in that building back there. I got over it, I used the time to get things together at home and to rest. I just decided that I got to see my babies sooner th

RyansMom001

• My twins were also early and were small, so they both went from inside mommy to the NICU. I didn't see them after that till the next day and didn't hold either for about 2 days. It had NO EFFECT on my bonding with them. I did as much skin to skin contact with them as I could, kangaroo care I think they call it. I was discharged without my babies, which was one of the hardest things I have been through in my life, but was at the hospital twice a day for at least 2 hours with them, feeding, pumping, doing whatever I could that the nurses had shown me. My daughter came out after 2 weeks and my son had to be in a month. I'll admit I have more of a bond with her but that has nothing to do with her coming home before he did. I would cry each and every time I left them there, it broke my heart. I made sure they had all the little sleepers and hats and bought them each a toy to have in their beds with them once they were out
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• of their incubators.

It's so difficult to be a mom with a baby (or babies) in a NICU but it's only temporary, try to keep that in mind. Some hospitals have places for moms to stay if they want to be there for every feeding, and pumps you can rent so even if your baby is too small to breastfeed you can pump milk for them to be fed.

I wish you luck. That month was one of the hardest on me emotionally I have ever had....today my twins are 18 months old and going strong. If you have time and need to chat if your baby does go into the NICU, feel free to find me here. It's hard on mommy's heart, but you can bond with your baby just like any other mom does, just in different ways :) GL
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:37 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My baby was 7 weeks early and was in the nicu for 2 weeks. I was very lucky that the hospital let me stay at the hospital for free the whole time since I was breast feeding. For a while I pumped and he was fed by tube. After he was only a few days old he started learning how to breastfeed. He ate 8 times a day, I was there with him 5-6 times out of the 8. It's possible to bond with your baby in nicu, I was able to. I was also very lucky that all the nicu staff were excellent!
    FroggyFeet

Answer by FroggyFeet at 1:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i had a baby in the nicu for 26 days. for the first two days our time for holding him was very limited. but after that we could hold him as much as we wanted. i was still able to feed him once his suck swallow reflex developed and the feeding tubes came out. i was still able to put him to the breast. i was in the hospital with him8-12 hours a day. my dad took my other son for me while i was in the hospital. nicu is a place to be avoided if possible, but also an absolute miracle when needed! how far along are you?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree with PP...you will learn a lot from the wonderful nurses that work in any NICU. It is a calling for those women and they do a wonderful job. I can't imagine how hard it is on them sometimes.... Hang in there momma
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 9:20 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Im 30 weeks
    kadmomma

Answer by kadmomma at 9:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2010