Jealous of childless friends?

Are you ever jealous of the childless people in your life? The ones who can go to dinner anytime they want or travel? A friend recently told me she's going on a month long trip overseas. About 6 mos. ago, I would have been really, really jealous. Now that my baby is 11 mos. though, and a real fun girl, I find that I feel absolutely no jealousy about it. My daughter is worth so much more than fancy trips and the priciest meal out. This friend is kind of immature and makes comments like ' well I bet you wish you could travel, too.' I think it's hard for childless ppl. to understand that having a child means so much more than even the greatest adventure. I have to admit that I am so proud of myself for having that feeling. I def. didn't have that a few mos. ago! I feel like a real mom now!!! (My baby is my 1st).

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:53 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have a friend who has no children. And no doubt she does have nicer things than I do. Her home is something you see in Better Homes and Garden! And one day we were out to dinner and the subject of her SIL came up, she's a SAHM. My friend said I don't know why she does that (knowing I'm a SAHM), she'll never have what I have. I was in shock! And after we parted ways I kept thinking about what she said, and what a slam it was. But then I realized she may have nice cars, a beautiful home (that NO child could enter, she wouldn't even let my child in) and trips for every anniversary. But she will never have what I have!! And she'll never know how wonderful being a mother is. So nope, not jealous! I might think it's what I want for a minute, but then I get a big sweet hug from my boys and I know it's not!!

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i don't necessarily get jealous of childless people for their ability to travel...although, i do sometimes miss being able to do as i please when i please. But, even when hubby and i get the chance to get out alone, all i think about it my daughter. So, I take the good with the bad. I can not imagine my life without her, and I just try to embrace the changes and the path my life has taken. All the compromises i guess you can call them are rewarded by her smiles and laughter and being the light of my life. man that was sappy, sorry. lol
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 11:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• I'm 22 with a 6 month old...and no I am not jealous of my childless friends...which is mostly all of them. My friends go out to parties and the bars at college almost every night, and now I kind of laugh to myself that that's the most important thing in their lives right now. While sometimes I get frustrated that it can be SO HARD for me to just run out to the mall or go grocery shopping, I know that my life has more meaning and more importance now that I have my son and I wouldn't change that for the world. And you're right, ppl without children don't understand how ppl with children feel until they have a child of their own. I sure as heck didn't realize how my parents felt about me until I had my son. Its a feeling you just can't describe well enough with words....you have to feel it for yourself to completely understand it.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:57 PM on Feb. 4, 2010

• not jealous but I do look forward to when my children get a little older. There is a certain freedom u get when they get out of diapers
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:05 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• when i was 20 and had a newborn? yeah i was jealous as heck. as a 38 year old with a 6 year old? nope not at all. i remember how much fun i had when i was childless but i also knwo how much more fullfilled my life is now
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:26 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I don't get jealous of childless people. I do, however get jealous of single people. Even single people with children oddly enough. I hate my life with the person I'm with and wish I could do over but I have no where else to go so I'm stuck with him.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• noo...I sometimes feel bad for people who dont..just because I cannot imagine life without having kids...I am already worried about when my kids grow up lol..like...what am I going to do with myself and my time lol..I am seriously considering have a child every few years until i am unable..just so I will always have a little one lol

But I do sometimes get jealous of friends who have kids and still alot of " non-parents" ...like my friend has 2 children but her and her husbadn go on vacation alone like twice a year and go out on the weekends alone ...part of me would like to be able to do that and not feel bad ...but everytime me and my husband do go out I just spend the whole time worrying about the kids...
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 12:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2010