my 23 month old doesn't eat!

my 23 month old was always a healthy eater until she turned 1. when we started giving her food with texture she stopped eating. now she is almost 2 and she doesn't eat breakfast, she doesn't eat lunch and if i am very very lucky she will take 3 or 4 bites of my dinner. she will ask for a cookie in the middle of the day but if i try to give her something else like fruit or a poptart she just gets mad and won't even take the cookie then. i didn't really worry about it but its been almost a year and shes not growing out of it. and this is EVERYDAY it's not like she eats good some days and not others, she NEVER eats. she is healthy and active but i am still concerned. any input would be apperacated.

jazysmom08

Asked by jazysmom08 at 11:58 PM on Feb. 4, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My 5 yr old son was great until around 2 yrs old then he stopped eating. The nurses at Wic said he was loosing weight and feed him a high fat diet. Problem was, he just wouldn't eat. I never offer him dinner because I know it's a "NO". He will only eat pizza,trix yogurt and jelly sandwiches.
    I have tried everything, every idea out there just never worked for us. I have wasted alot of food trying to get him to eat. It is hard but you have to try and do be calm about it. If she turns her nose up, then walk away. You have to pick and choose your battles. She will eat when she is hungry but in the meantime try high calorie,fattening food like ice cream.
    It is touch and go, I don't know really what to tell you because I have been in the same boat for 3 years now. My son is tall but very slender and the Dr. isn't worried to much about it.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 12:16 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• my doctor told me that their diets significantly decrease around age 1. If my daughter eats one good meal a day, I am lucky. She eats some throughout the day. And every once in a while she will eat a REALLY good meal, but its only one meal. I plan on trying to get better about meal times, but she snacks little stuff through the day. She is 19 months now and about 25lbs. She is 33 inches tall....She use to eat ALOT. I mean not too much or anything, but she was definately an eater. now she likes all types of food, but she just doesn't eat a lot of any of them. I would just keep trying. As long as her doctor says she is gaining weight okay and all that, i would say you are okay. you can always ask the doctor about it as well.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 12:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• if she is not losing weight and is not whiining with hunger, she is active. you are fine. let her appetite lead you. my son barely nibbled a thing around this time its a phase
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I was just told by a nurse that HER doctor told her that if you can gather 1 full meal within a 3-4 day time span, that's good and really, kids don't over eat like adults do so really, 1-2 bites probably are satisfying them. Its scary though I know, my son eats pretty well but he goes through times where we might get breakfast only out of him and 2 bites of dinner -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that she/he is drinking water, so she/he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually she/ge will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

cont.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• We use the 3 bite rule. You must try 3 bites of what is on your plate; if you don't like it, you fix yourself peanut butter and honey on whole grain toast with a kiwi or apple. Even my husband is expected to follow the rule.
    If you cave now, you will forever have a picky monster on your hands. I promise that your child will not starve. Parents who cave are part of the reason why one half of American children are both undernourished and overweight. One third of children born in this century will develop type 2 diabetes.
    Keep offering a variety of healthy foods; stop buying junk foods until the picky phase has passed. Make sure that you are setting a great example by eating a variety of healthy foods.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2010