Tanning...

I am just wondering what are others peoples opinons on tanning ( tanning bed tanning) ...do you think the risk of getting skin cancer is pretty much the same as being in the sun? Do you think spray tanning measures up ?

glamomomo

Asked by glamomomo at 12:13 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I have never tanned and I will never. Those types of rays are so bad for your skin. It's not worth the short-term tanning affect for the long-term, leather bag look. I live in Phoenix and there are people here whose skin looks ROUGH. Wrinkles, everything! I like the lotions. L'oreal makes one that really works. I've used it and you can see a big difference. My hairdresser says the banana boat brand is the best one. He's obsessed w/ being tan and even he doesn't use beds.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 12:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I have red hair and I have family that have had skin cancer. So I won't be all that surprised if I end up with it. I do use sunscreen now but I didn't when I was a teenager. I've been to a tanning bed maybe twice. I figure if I am going to get cancer, I might as well be doing something fun like swimming, playing in the park, etc., not laying in some weird coffin-like thing. I have done the spray tanning and used the tanning creams in the past and they're okay. Not great, but not horrible, either.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:47 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• No I think it increases your risk of cancer quite a bit. According to the American Cancer Society:

People 35 or younger who used the beds regularly had a melanoma risk eight-fold higher than people who never used tanning beds. Even occasional use among that age group almost tripled the chances of developing melanoma

I would rather be pale and not have skin cancer, than be tanned and scarred from having cancers removed.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:50 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I think they are bad for you. I grew up in so. california where being tan was a normal thing, My father is from scotland so I am so pale it isnt even funny I burn i dont tan. I tried every lotion known to man as a teen and i always turned orange.

Now I look back and think to myself "why would i put all those chemicals on myself?" I am pale and proud of it lol I know that becuase i have become a sunscreen addict that i have reduced my chances of skin cancer.

My mom was crazy about lying out in the sun and now her skin looks like it, luckily it isnt as bad as some i have seen like the leather looking skin.

It is just a really bad idea to expose yourself to tanning beds thats JMO.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:01 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I did it a few times as a teen. It thought it was really relaxing, but I didn't like spending the money, so didn't do it very often. Then in my mid-20's (about 5 years ago) I watched my cousin's husband die from what started as skin cancer (they were able to remove it, but it came back and spread quickly a few years later). I have never seen anything so horrible and I would never get in a tanning bed again. I am also crazy about sunscreen now, too. My kid doesn't play or swim outside unless he has on sunscreen (and it has had time to soak in) and he wears a shirt and hat.
    sandra1023

Answer by sandra1023 at 1:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• NO WAY...tanning beds do not give you the poison the sun give you..and spray tanning is just paint
    BiBi2010

Answer by BiBi2010 at 1:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2010