Is Evil Really Good??

Okay so I am going to try to keep my beliefs aside for this post because I just sincerely want to know people's opinions. So please dont try to bash anybody because we should all act like adults and keep an open mind since these things have been around forever and nobody really knows the answers.
I am taking a Philosophy class and we are on the subject of God and free will and faith and reason and good vs evil and all that stuff. Well the class and teacher all concluded God is All Powerful and All Knowing and has created everything so does this mean that our free will is an illusion because HE alreadys knows what is going to happen and what we are going to choose? And if our lives are planned out for us doesnt this mean we should be choosing some of the bad things we are not supposed to be doing, such as killing someone, having that abortion, or just plain sinning? Do some evil things lead to something good? = Is" Evil" Good

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My belief system is also that God created everything. including evil and that Satan is only God in another form. Some evil in our lives leads to life lesons that improve us as people. so in a sense yes, some evil is good
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• o does this mean that our free will is an illusion because HE alreadys knows what is going to happen and what we are going to choose?

That's only one school of thought. The one that's more logical, but harder to explain, is that the supreme being is not restricted by time. Instead of him sitting at the beginning of time knowing everything that will happen, he is at every moment in time, and as you make decisions, he sees that, and therefore knows it because he was there to see it happen. Every decision you'll ever make he'll learn about as you make them, but since he is free of time, he knows it already. Look up Boethius to read more of it.

As for free will - we don't have free will because to have it we must be totally free of outside influence and from the moment we are born, we are never free of outside influence. Not because God is pulling the strings, just because we'd have to live in a vacuum.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:52 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My belief system is God created everything but not evil.. Lucifer did that himself and Satan is not God in another form, he is the opposite of God... God is Good and Satan is Evil. No matter how you try to slice it :-)

No free will is not an illusion. We have the free will to CHOOSE which road to take and which steps to take, God has provided the way no matter what. Everything is a plan and purpose for our life. If you make the right choice He has a plan, if you make the wrong choice He also has a plan. Our steps are ordained and He knows because he is outside of time He has already seen the past, the present and the future!
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 1:23 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• if you pm me tomorrow i will give a better answer but too tired right now lol But imho good and evil have always been.. For there to be perfection there has to be imperfection. God didn't create evil its always been just like God didnt create good. Also we do have free will *again mho* God knows what we will do just like we know our own kids. God can see ahead though. He knows all the possible outcomes of every moment in our life whether we choose the good way or the bad way. God doesn't force us to do anything and our choices are not predestined.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 5:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Evil is just as natural as Good. There are many parallels I could point out. In a sense yes some evil is good because it can lead to good things. That is why when something bad happens to me I say it was just meant to be that way and something better must be around the corner. I can always find the light in the darkness. :)
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 6:03 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• God has to have created evil because everything in creation inlcuding evil belongs to God.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 6:52 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• hypothetically lets say God is without a doubt real. Then God would have created evil. By creating evil, it gives the illusion that things can be Good as well. When you see evil, then see good, you learn to respect what is good. Example, say there is a king. He could sit there and preach how things are fine. Then a group of bandits rob 75% of his village. Unknown to the kings subjects that is was him to hired the bandits. So he holds a celebration where he hands out gifts to replace what is lost. His people are happy with him. But deep down, he was the one that created both in the long run, knowing that he needed something to bring the people to him. If nothing had happened, and things were idle while he was on thrown, nobody would have thought much about it. Now that they have reason to see the good after the bad, they have a newfound respect and love.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• as for free will... the citizens still have free will. they could have take then time to uncover where these bandits came from, etc. And that would have changed their opinions of the king. But rather they just accepted what had happened. The king may have created both the good and the evil in the village.. but the citizens were free to react anyway they wanted.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:44 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Good and Evil depend on perception. We can automatically judge something as good or evil, but when we delve a little deeper, we may find out that wasn't the case at all. What one person considers evil, I might not- it's all how you look at it.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:46 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If god is all powerful and all knowing, then yes I believe god to be good and bad. Evil and good. And I don't believe people who follow him have free will at all. I do believe it's all an illusion. When you are threatened that you will be punished UNLESS you follow a certain path, there is no free will.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2010