How do I deal with going back to work after being a stay at home mommy for 5 years?

I will be starting a new job in a few days and my daughter is in pre-k right now going only 3 hours a dy. Now that I am going back to work I hve to fine a daycare close by that will drop her off ad pick her up from school. That scares the heck out of me know my baby girl will be riding a bus, her life being in a strangers hand. I feel sick to my stomach over it. I have stayed at home with her and we are very very close and she is my workd. I feel bad for just throwing her on a bus and going back and forth from daycare to school and from school back to daycae. I feel it may be too much on her. Please give me some advice and some reasurance????

Olivia79

Asked by Olivia79 at 12:38 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Since she's already IN pre-K a few hours a day. her life HAS been in the hands of others. Brick and mortar doesn't make you any safer.

OK...that's probably not very reassuring...but it is true. What's ALSO true? She'll probably handle it better than YOU. When my son was two he started preschool...couldn't get rid of us fast enough at dropoff time. There was a sand table to be played with!

She will be FINE. You get through it by reminding yourself you're doing what you need to do.

Answer by gdiamante at 12:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• All I have to say is, You can do it!!! You have been a sahm for all those years you can do anything!!! I am on your side!!! Go girl go!!! Do it for your kids!!!! It is scarey, I can imagine, and unfamiliar but you have it in you to survive and conquer!!! GO!!!!
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 1:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• You are making women proud and hopeful all around the country just by your effort. GO!
    mamofive

Answer by mamofive at 1:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• She and you will adjust I'd say give it 2 wks and soon she will be doing her own little thing got to cut the cord mommy atleast she is still at home with you at your time. (after hours) good luck all will be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I wouldnt go so far as to say you are making women proud.........
    But I too returned to work after the kids went back to school.
    Honestly, it was so hard. My DS acted up constantly and was very clingy, just due to the school issue. I dropped him off and picked him up everyday. She will adjust. Why are you goinf back to work?? I would only do it if I absoloutley had to. (I worked with my DH so it was no problem to pop in and out all day.)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• OH my gosh, I'm kind of going through this same thing right now - I'm going back to school and my youngest (3) is going to Head Start and I just feel so sad/guilty about it. I stayed at home with my oldest until... well, well until after she started school. But I feel so guilty that I'm starting my youngest early - I'm going to miss her so much. We spent a lot of time together and I hate that she's going to be at school all day. I feel you and if you get any good advice, please send it my way!
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 2:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Me too. I have been SAHM for 4 years, but the ecconomy has effected hubby's work bad enough I have to go back to work. I started a few months ago and I was verry worried, sad, selfish. I want to stay SAHM. I have had a few moments of sad when I have to miss a class party or miss getting to do homework with him ( I work 2nd shift) but I found someone great to watch him and on my days off, we have money to splerge a bit so it is working out. Just go with the change and so will your kiddo. GL
    Anonymous