Teen Moms...Why don't you prove them wrong?!

"Dr. drew said being a teenage mom has a very small percentage of graduating and ever getting out of poverty."

I saw this posted in a response to another question earlier and I find the statement to be absurd. There is no reason for this to be true. I got pregnant with my daughter at 17 and had her at 18. I graduated high school with honors and I'm currently in my 2nd year of college working toward a midwifery degree. I have a successful marriage and we've since had another baby. My husband is also successful and we do not live in poverty.

I'm not saying being a teen mom is easy or ideal but there is no reason that being a teen mom has to be the end of dreams and wants.

Come on ladies...If you are a teen mom or you were PROVE THEM WRONG! Change the stereotype and PROVE THEM WRONG!!

What's stopping those of you who haven't proven them wrong?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes you achieved great things, but unfortunately he is right. the majority of teen moms DONT graduate high school and never rise out of poverty!

i would love to see it change though!
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 1:01 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• its great that you did that but thik about all you missed,i mean how much time could you have spent with your kid if you were doing all this homework,so the question is.. who was playng mom? A great mom has nothing to do with money or personal success it has to do with being giving to your child,so i think the whole survey is dumb because a mom can be great and not have a HS diploma or ever get a degree, the greatness of a mom has to do with what they give up for their kids more than what they get for their kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I find the statement to be absurd..

Absurd or not, it is a fact, and an accurate one. Just because you had someone to pay for everything doesn't mean everyone does.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:13 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Once you're a mom it is supposed to be about the child but if you have to go to high school your child will not have you. More often the teen mom didn't intend to be a mom. She was seeking the love of a boyfriend and once the child's dad splits she will keep seeking the love of boyfriends over time she could have spent with her child or finishing high school. I dare you to tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:14 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• No one paid for anything for us. My DH worked and I went to school. We never took money from anyone. We have paid our way.

My DH is the father of my daughter and I've never been with anyone else. He didn't "spilt." I'm not saying that some, if not, most don't but that's not a reason to be a high school drop out.

And as far as me spending time away from my child...I switched to an at home program so I could be home with my daughter and when I started college I chose classes that would allow me to go only 2 days a week. I'm away from my child less than mother's who work!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Sadly Dr Drew's statement is very true, I know too many girls I went to HS with who have never risen above who and what they were in HS and pregnant.

I do know of a few moms and i mean very few like 3 who rose above the statistics. My mom was a young mom pregnant and then married at 17 had me at 18 my father left before she turned 19. She graduated 8th in her class and never went to college, she did hold good jobs.

I too want to see them do more, I try not to look down on teen moms. There are those cases though where you know that they are bound to fail based on their attitude and behavior and then there are those who inspire you and you cant help but root for and hope that their hardwork pays off.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 1:23 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I was a teen mom, had my son at 17 then had my daughter at 19. Even though you finish school and are successful, and you have a great marriage, somewhere while you where trying to be sucessful you also lost out....where was your baby in all this...maybe you did not loose out but maybe yur baby did...a child takes up so much of your time....you can't have it all...how about your friends, so you mean to tell me that while you where busy being a mom, going to school, you had time to do things teenagers do? you do miss out on your teenage years...I'm glad you have a happy story to tell, but you cannot tell me that you lived the avarage life a teenager does...you cannot tell me that you did not miss out on anything...because no matter how you cut it money no money...you do miss out...
    BiBi2010

Answer by BiBi2010 at 1:25 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Honestly, coming from someone in the same situation as you...I was pregnant at 17 finished high school with honors, got an associates in Sport Management, am finishing my Bachelor's in History right now. It is extremely ignorant of someone who professes such education to know so little about the world around you. Truth is YOU are a minority. Shit doesn't work for everyone the way it works for some. I sacrificed A LOT to be where I am right now and to have the job I have. I gave up a lot of my "me" time to get my education and still have time for my child but in the end, proving someone else wrong is by far less important than my child. I would rather be without a piece of paper, than know that I am not dedicated myself to my child. The only person I need to prove anything to is myself, and thus far I have proved that I have the ability and drive to do what I need to in order to get ahead.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 1:32 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• The thing is I got all the teenager crap out of my system my freshmen and sophmore year. I went to party's, experimented, traveled, dated, and participated in lots of things of at school. I still hung out with friends after my baby was born because to be honest 3 of my friends were teen moms/pregnant around that time. And no it wasn't some dumb pregnancy pact.

I don't feel like I missed out on anything. This is my life and I love it. Like I said before I'm NOT saying it's easy and I'm certainly not trying to glamorize being a teen mom or even saying it's a good idea but I'm saying it DOESN'T HAVE to be that way.

Teens moms CAN rise above the typical teen mom life. That's the point of this post. TO ENCOURAGE TEEN MOMS TO RISE ABOVE!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• No one paid for anything for us. My DH worked

Your DH paid for you. Lucky you - now open your eyes and see how the real world works.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2010