My neighbors..Can I take their dog into the pet/human society or drop her off somewhere?

I have a dog & so do they, but my dog is not allowed outside unsupervised other than two min potty breaks. Like he's never just locked in the back yard, 'cause he's still a puppy & in training. My neighbors dog seems to be locked in her backyard ALL DAY, digs under the fence & d I'm always finding her in my backyard, I've a doggy door open to my garage & when I went to let my dog into the garage for a potty break she was sitting there tearing into a bag of OUR dog food I chased her out , then she gets stuck trying to get back to her side of the fence, I'm 7 months pregnant & this isn't fun. And it's happening twice a day now! I've gone over there, asked them to do something on their side of the fence 'cause I keep putting rock or trying to put the dirt back that she's dug on my side, but the holes from their side are to big & she always manages to wiggle to my side. It's getting old I'm about to take her to the human society

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pets

• you cant do that, its illegal. but you can call the police animal control to come out and take the dog for you from your yard.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:03 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I was going to say exactly what sati just said. If you take the dog the neighbor can press charges I know sounds crazy becasue the dog is getting out but that is the way it is. I would call and file a police report, minimally they will get a citation for the dog being loose and if it happens enough times they will take the dog from them. It is called dog at large in my town.

I have one of those backyards where random dogs are drawn to and my dogs are playful and love the company but i dont, i dont like extra poop or having to replace food so i have called the police and they always come get the dogs.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 2:12 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I had that exact same problem with my stupid neighbor two years ago and I kept on telling her to tie up her dog cause he kept on coming to my side and she never listened so we got tired of it cause he kept on making a big mess so we put him into our jeep and we went to go dump him far away. Then she was complaining and blaming us instead of realizing that would of never happened if she would of listened to us and tied her dog. So what she did was poisoned one of our rottweilers to get revenge even though our dogs never went to her side, and shes never really at her home only in the mornings to pick up her mail shes a weird evil old lady that I think eats cats cause it always smells like dead animal in her place and the smell comes to our yard, I wish I can lid her house on fire! i'm tired of her! So I receommend for you to dump the dog or call animal control because youve already warned them. or take them to court.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• they are actually wrong. we have this same problem but with two mistreated rots next door. they don't get food, water or shelter on a normal basis. we have 2 large german shepherds. all these dogs are around one year. we've talked to a man who rescues dogs (he's retired). it is legal, obviously depending on the state, for you to capture the dog (as long as it is in your yard) and to bring it down to the humane society/ animal control. if the dog dug out any other part of the fence that may lead to the front, i don't see how someone picking it up and taking it to animal control is any different than you taking it. that is what we are planning on doing the next time this dog come in. we've been taking steps to keep our own dogs from getting out. btw, we have an active file that i call and add to so that when i do bring these dogs down, they know that there is a history of problems and that i'm not doing it just because.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 2:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Tell your neighbor if they don't want to tie up there dog then for them to pay for cement to put under your fence so the dog can be screwed and not be able to dig into your place anymore.
    kimaam

Answer by kimaam at 2:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Why would you dump someones dog? Dont we have enough problems with homeless pets? That is sad I am thinking your neighbor isnt the only one who is a bit weird and evil.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:20 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• remember, it's not the dogs fault. i seriously disagree with the way anon :16 handled things. if a dog gets out like that it generally means that there is a need that is not being met. some dogs need more food, some need more space. taking a dog and dropping it off far away is abuse pure and simple. would you do that to your child? you have just sent a purely tame animal into a world they know nothing about. either it will become violent or die. i wish that lady would have turned you in rather than poison your dogs. IT'S NOT THE DOG'S FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!! please understand this. dogs can be rescued. they can be sent to good homes where they will be fed and sheltered. that's why we pay taxes for people to come and take the ones being mistreated. for the dog's own good, take it to animal control. either they will return it or find a better home, either way, they should be the ones to decide, not you.
    Marri357

Answer by Marri357 at 2:24 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Last annonymous, I think its best dumping them in a place where you know someone nicer is going to take them, instead of poisoning them! Think about it!!!!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:25 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Marie537 we dumped him far away by the north rich side where a family we know took him so hes in a better place now. I think thats best because if we would of called animal control they just would of killed him by putting him to sleep and we didnt want that. We do care about animals and I know its not his faulthaving a creless old lady as his master that never fed him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Marri357 i guess the only experience i haveis where i live. if you take a dog even if its loose, and you know who owns it to the humane society etc. YOU can be charged with stealing it . its kinda crazy
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:32 AM on Feb. 5, 2010