Kinda worried about teeth

My son Brayden started getting this blackish brown spots on his teeth close to the gum line....so of course I took him to the dentist. The dentist didn't really know what it was and it wasn't cavities. He cleaned his teeth with an abrasive tooth paste and a special tooth brush....Most of it came off. It seemed to come right back, I brush all the time and I make sure that I do it for at least three min. Then my daughter started getting it too!!!! I started to think of what I may have done? I stoped giving vitamins,stoped giving as much juice, and they don't get pop or candy very often. I just can't figure out what to do about it and how to figure out what is causing it?

Lovemybrayden

Asked by Lovemybrayden at 2:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Kids' Health

• sounds like plaque buildup on your childs teeth. i am very surprised the dentist said he didnt know what it was. you might wanna consider a different dentist that is pretty concerning to me
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Yeah I thought it was plaque build up too....I just can't figure out how to get it off.......I brush their teeth all the time and I don't let them do it, of fear that they won't do it as well as needed....I am going to find a different dentist for sure.....
    Lovemybrayden

Answer by Lovemybrayden at 2:13 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• you cant usually get it off yourself, you wil need a dental hygenist to do the cleaning.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:31 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I was kinda worried about that......it is going to be expensive to get them both cleaned. I don't have dental insurance.
    Lovemybrayden

Answer by Lovemybrayden at 2:42 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• the dentist would know if it were plaque or decay. is it a possible yeast infection? how does the tongue look?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:03 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My daughter used to get terrible black stains on her teeth; we had to take her to the dentist every three months to get them cleaned. She stopped getting them around her tenth birthday.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I'm a dental hygienist - this is what I know causes staining in children
    dietary habits of the child
    plaque and debris
    vitamins that contain iron
    poor oral hygiene habits
    Other causes of staining in children's teeth can occur from events that occurred during development of the teeth. These are classified as intrinsic stains and are stained from within the tooth.
    disturbances from certain medications or the use of medications for prolonged periods of time.
    illnesses that cause recurrent fevers
    certain medical conditions that affect the development of teeth
    excessive use of fluoride supplements
    Intrinsic stains are usually the result of a disturbance within the tooth that occurred during the tooth's formative years. The cells of the enamel, which are quite sensitive to any abnormal disturbances, are affected, causing the staining and discolorations.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 8:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• MMMM I thought it was their vitiamins because of the iron so I stopped giving it to them. My son was a formula fed baby I used bottle water and not the infant water, and it can't be oral hygiene the poor babies are getting their teeth scrubed everytime they eat. I am kinda wondering if it's my meds that I had to take for my asthma while I was pregnant with them? My daughter was breastfed until she was 20 months. I don't think it's stained within the tooth because it comes off if you scratch hard enough. I think it is plague I am just trying to figure out why it is both my kids having it. Wonder if it's heridity? I know it's not thrush for sure I have seen thrush. They love fruit and I am wondering if maybe all the acid from the fruit isn't making their teeth enamel week and more easliy stained. RRRRR I just hope they don't have it up into adulthood :(
    Lovemybrayden

Answer by Lovemybrayden at 10:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2010