My LO is sick...do I take him to the ER or can he wait until morning?

My three year old has a fever and a cough. He just woke up from a coughing fit and climbed in our bed. His fever is back, so I just gave him Tylenol. I gave him some chamomile tea to sooth his throat. As he is laying in our bed he is making some slight wheezing sounds. My dh is FREAKING out about it. I think he is not laboring while breathing and he can wait until morning, but sleep in our bed so we can monitor his sleeping/breathing.
What do you think?

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 2:52 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Call the advice nurse or take him to urgent care. Use your best judgment. Or go to a 24-7 store and pick up a thermometer and check his temp. If it's 102.0 or below wait it out and monitor his breathing. Sit in an upright rocking chair or something similar with him to get his airway straight up and open. If his fever is higher then take him in. Like I said use your best mom-judgment. =)
    Malibustacy

Answer by Malibustacy at 4:06 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• how bad is the fever? the ER is really for life threatening emergencies. how about calling your peditrician;s after hours number?

sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:54 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• The after hours is only open until 11 pm and it is 1am...
    I do not have a thermometer that works, so I do not know how high it is. He is responsive and was joking, so I don;t think the fever is in the danger zone.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• all pediatricians have a midnight emergency number honey.

if you think he stil feels too hot maybe a lukewarm bath? but only if he doesnt respond to tylenol in a bit. fevers are actually usually good as long as they dont get too high or go on too long

and ps, get a thermometer tomorrow eh?
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 3:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2010