Teacher rude to me in public

I saw my DS's kindergarten teacher at Target this evening and I tried to ask him a simple question relating to school. He was very short with me and rather rude! His response was "This is my time and I am off the clock. This is not the time and the place to discuss this, but I can call tomorrow." Then he walked off. This teacher calls ME at work on MY time. I only had a simple question. He didn't have to be rude. Should I say something to a higher-up?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:54 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Not really, he was right. It is HIS time. teachers put in soo many hours of thier own time in to what they do. He could have been nicer certainly. but you might have been mom number 200 that day to bug him after hours and he is only human too.

He calls you at work on YOUR time because he is teaching YOUR child. kinda works that way.

I suggest that when you talk to him tomorrow you take a different approach to this, tell him you realized with how he reacted at target that you should have waited til today to talk to him and you are sorry. this way he gets the HINT that his behaviour was uncool. and he cannot begrudge you in any way since you are technically apologising
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I think he could/should have been nicer, but I understand his sentiments. My sister is always getting calls from parents after hours. If it was just one parent one time, it would be different. But he has 25 or so kids to listen to their parents. He needs a break too. Did he have to be so rude? No, I would catch him at school tomorrow and tell him that you do not appreciate the way he responded to you at the store. How he reacts to that is what I would determine talking to the principal about. If he apologizes for the rudeness, let it go. If he gets ruder then I would talk to the principal.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• ewww that is sort of a tough one, normally if i see my childrens teachers off the clock i dont bring up school unless they do. You have to respect that when they are off the clock it is their time. You however are the childs mother and you are never off the clock even at work so yes a teacher calling you at work is appropriate.

It is hard to not want to talk about something regarding school with a teacher when you run into them but you also have to understand that they have a right to not get cornered everytime a parent runs into them.

Even if you called a higher up there is nothing they could do, the teacher was not at school when it happened he didnt t tell you he wouldnt talk to you about it, he said call him tomorrow. Personally I agree target is probably not the place to discuss school issues with a teacher. You also have no idea what was going on maybe he was there for meds for his sick kid you never know.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree with the poster above me. You are on his time and yes, he may have been quite rude. Although, sometimes rudeness is in the eye of the beholder. Was he truly rude or did you find him rude because you did not get the answer you wanted. He did at least extend the courtesy of saying he would call tomorrow.

My sister lives very close to her school and TWICE in the past five years she has had parents show up at her front door demanding an immediate conference!
    mommyjenny2009

Answer by mommyjenny2009 at 3:03 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Yes, he was rude, but honestly, yes, he was right. The thing is, when he calls you at work, it's not really "your time" - you're a mom, which is a 24 / 7 commitment, and he's calling you during school / business hours.

Look at it this way, if, say, a co-worker ran into you when you were out at dinner with your family, would you want them to come up and start asking you all these work questions? Even if it was a quick question, if you think about it, there are how many kids in the class, times how many quick questions...

Now, he should have been nicer about it - he should have said "I'm sorry, but this really isn't the appropriate time to talk about this, but you're welcome to contact me at school and I'll do my best to answer or we can set up an appointment..."

Now, I don't mean any of this mean, but honestly, while yes, he was rude, so were you, and you were first...
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 5:07 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• How sad. My daughter's K teacher added me on Facebook. Like you said they wouldn't have an issue calling you during work or at home. Being a teacher is a lot like being a parent you don't always have "me" time. I don't believe there is anything you can do. I wouldn't put my next child in his classroom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• he might have been right being that it was his time but I would still make a complaint if he was rude. If it's just one complaint they probably won't do anything but if this guy has a habit of being an ass hopefully they will talk to him about it. Just as you and your children should treat the teacher with respect so should the teacher treat the parents well. It sounds like he needs an attitude adjustment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Sounds like he was busy and was tring to get his stuff done. he called you at work on your time...not true sorry but your are a mama and they are your #1 job.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 6:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Was a bit rude about it but he is right.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Why other anon, should she be encouraged to make a report? That is just ridiculous and absurd! He was not at work and did nothing wrong. JC! Some of you just complain and whine about anything. Newsflash, the world and the people in it do not revolve around you and your kid(s).

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:44 AM on Feb. 5, 2010