Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How can I get legal matters situated without an address?

Here's the thing. I am a single mother of three kids. I am still married, but my so-called husband has deserted my three kids and I. When we filed taxes last year, he ran off and took all of the money. I heard from him in about two weeks after all of that happened, but now it's been months and I don't know whether he's dead or alive. It has been extremely hard on myself to raise my three kids. He has not given me any support or NOTHING at all to help me out. I am working constantly and am about to get a second job just to make ends meet. My problem is that I want to get divorced and get custody matters straight for my kids, but I have no address on him to get anything started. I have filed for child support on him, but still have not received a single payment! I have even tried going to a divorce lawyer, but all of that is stalled because I have no address for this deadbeat! Are there any tips for me? Thanks!

Answer Question

Asked by HotMamma at 5:58 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Relationships

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • I wish i had an answer for you but i feel for you utterly! i hope you can get it all straightened out

    Answer by sati769leigh at 6:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • Thanks! I am holding on and keeping positive!

    Answer by HotMamma at 6:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • I know some states will help you hunt him down. Call a lawyer and ask.

    Answer by Anonymous at 6:25 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • In Pennsylvania when I had NO clue where my ex was residing and I was filing for divorce, etc. My lawyer told me to put an ad in three newspapers seeking him over a manner of three weeks. If by the end of then he was accounted for the divorce would go through without him. I did put in ads and his family came forward and I found out he was living in an Indian reservation in Montana. So your answer might be something as simple as newspaper ads seeking him.

    Answer by MSugarKane at 6:54 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • You don't need an address for him. The lawyer will have you post an add in the newspaper in the town of his last known address. Oops. I just looked up and saw that Msugarkane already said that!

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:56 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • p.s. You should have filed for child support with the state when he left you. They could have found him by now using his social security number but it's not too late. Go do that immediately. You shouldn't have to be suffering but remember you get the HOH credit on taxes and the EIC for the kids this year. File early in case he's trying to get that too.

    Answer by admckenzie at 9:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

  • Thanks to all who have given me tips and pointers on this crazy siutation. I just feel so overwhelmed that it isn't even funny. I am gonna start posting ads in my local newspaper. Thanks for the advice ladies!!!

    Answer by HotMamma at 11:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.