My 8 month old still wakes up at night for a bottle once or twice at night and has just gotten her first 2 teeth. I'm trying to end the bottles at night...what should I do??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I have been going through the same thing with my 6 month old and what seems to be working is feeding her right before bed and if she wakes up I'll give her the bottle for a moment then play the "Switch a Roo" with the binky and she's out. After about a week of that I gave her just the binky and she's even sleeping through without it, not every night but some are better than none! Patience too! whatever that is. LOL Good Luck!
    blondiesrule32

Answer by blondiesrule32 at 10:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Give it to her! Other mom's will say not to, but she is still growing and may need that extra food at night. Some babies just don't sleep through the night until they are older. My DD didn't sleep through the night until a week before her 1st birthday. And she started doing it on her own with out me stopping feeding her when she did wake up or trying to do anything to make her sleep through the night.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 6:50 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• You need to wean off those extra meal times so her belly will adjust to not feeling hungry at those times. Lesson the amount you give to her each time to nothing. When she wakes at those times after you have weaned her from eating at that time then just soothe her and help teach her to sleep. Good luck. Its a process and it takes awhile to accomplish.
    MSugarKane

Answer by MSugarKane at 6:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Feed her extra well and give her a bath before bed , if she is eating enough then she should sleep all night, mabee shorten her naps during the daytime, good luck~!~
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• et her be. I know when I was pregnant I would wake up in the night ravenous, but I could get up and get myself something to eat. It didnn't matter that I ate well the whole day. Night time is a long time to fast when you are growing and using up a lot of calories. Can you imagine what it is like when you have a small stomach and can't get food for yourself?

You can try to encourage more feeds during the day (shortening naps can really backfire on you by the way) to see if maybe she is too busy with new things to focus on eating, but if she still wakes to take food then feed her. She'll be entering a major growth spurt very soon too.

By the way if you are concerned about her teeth, just don't leave her with the bottle all night. Feed her then take the bottle when she's done. I think the rotting teeth has to do with parents getting used to just giving the baby the bottle and going back to bed. When they should stay up
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:40 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• She doens't need night feedings anymore. She should be eating enough during the day
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• By the time my son was that age, he was eating some cereal with fruit before bed and that helped him sleep.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:05 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My 7 month old gets cereal and a bottle before bedtime. She sleeps all night long and if she wakes up all she wants is to feel me and she falls back asleep.
    Arianna0825

Answer by Arianna0825 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• It may be teething pain waking her up at night not hunger. Check with your ped and see if you can give her a little tylenol before bed so she is comfortable. You know how it is when you have some pain- it seems to get worse at night. Both of my boys woke at night when teething. I spoke with the ped nurse and since they were otherwise healthy- they suggested the suspension tylenol and it worked for me. I do not advocate this without a consult with the ped office as all babies are different and I do not know the history of your baby.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 9:41 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My baby has been sleeping about 12 hours straight since he was 6 months old. When he would wake up for a bottle, we would let him fuss for about 5 minutes then go in and pick him up. He would go to sleep after holding him for a few minutes. A week later when he would wake up we would let him fuss for 10 minutes before going in and holding him. After that second week, when he would wake up he barely fussed for a few minutes and went back to sleep on his own. Now he never wakes up unless he's sick or teething. Sometimes if I can't get him to go back to sleep I'll give him a bottle, but he doesn't expect to receive a bottle in the middle of the night. Also, make sure you are feeding your baby plenty during the day. When Ethan was going through a growth spurt he woke up 3 or 4 times a night. I started feeding him more during the day for that week and he stopped waking up.
    brittlee2358

Answer by brittlee2358 at 10:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2010