What is some called who believes in a higher power but not a named one and..

Some who does not believe in Christ(of coarse)? Is this person an atheist or a pagan? My mom has these beliefs. I just don't know what it means as we do not share the same beliefs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe in the disco ball theory. LOL
    all Gods are the SAME just different aspects reflected at each person what they can best believe in. None are right, none are wrong(short of the crazy freaks that go around killing people). but the power within, the source is all the same.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:01 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Technically any beliefs that don't agree w/ the 3 big religions are classified as pagan. Its a big umbrella that covers believers of many different faiths, some don't believe in god at all, others do. Ask your mom what she calls herself.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:04 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Exactly what does your mother believe in?
    Agnostic = believing in a higher power/spiritual beliefs, but always the way of the Bible... (I hope I got that right...LOL..)
    Deist = believing in a higher power may have been around to help create, but doesn't so much have a hand in
    anything now (my short version of it)
    Your mother doesn't have to believe in Jesus to be spiritual either... just ask her...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• * I meant to say * NOT always the way of the Bible ... I seem to type faster than think sometimes...
    gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 9:12 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Uncertanty of a higher power or religion is usually Agnostic - being unsure of what is there, but believing in something higher. Usually, however, those that believe in a higher power (whether a main religion or not) I would just consider Spiritual. That way you're not offending anyone. You should probably ask your mother what she considers herself though.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Agnostic believes that there is a higher being, but they don't know who or what, or that they don't know if there's a higher being or not. Athiest doesn't believe in God, by any name. Pagan is technically anyone who doesn't fall under one of the major faiths such as Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc. Though some faiths of course believe that those of any other faith are Pagan. Then there are the Pagans in the sense of Wiccan, etc.

I agree, I would just ask her what she considers herself. Also, I wouldn't worry so much about the name of what she believes so much as the actual beliefs themselves - sometimes we get so caught up in the name, we miss the "meat of it", kwim?
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• There are a number of different belief systems besides 'Christian' and 'other.' Atheists take the stance that no God exists... agnostics think it's impossible to know whether or not God exists, pantheists view God as being the bedrock of creation rather than a force outside creation, panenthiests believe God is inherent in the universe but also exists outside.... many, many options out there.
    I think of myself as a pantheist... I think that God is the energy that permeates the universe, but not a personified deity with a personality and an ego and a will. You could ask your mom what specifically she believes spiritually... it would probably be interesting and might help you understand where she's coming from.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:03 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• sounds Deist or Agnostic. definitely not Atheist as they dont believe in any higher power.

i agree w/ PPs, you should just ask her what she is spiritually. she may not even know haha
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:00 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Deist
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:52 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• We are called spiritual. There is no religious attachments, that is the beauty of it. The world isnt just Pagan or Christian.
    sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 1:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2010