How do I go about moving to South Florida?

My Husband has accepted a position in Key West Florida, but it is way too expensive to live there so he has decided to travel twice a week from South Florida. He starts on March 1st, and we have very little time to get down there. I no nothing about the areas, other than there are certain areas in Miami that I do not want to live in. His company has suggested trying Homestead or Florida City. Is anyone familiar with these areas? I would love hear any and all advice. We do have a six year old daughter and only one car for now, so would prefer to find a place where she and I could walk to a store or two.

bribrigirl03

Asked by bribrigirl03 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Home & Garden

• I pm'd you bout this ?, 2 much detail 4 here
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Maybe you could afford one of the other islands a little better. It's a long 2+ hour drive through the Keys. US 1 is a 2 lane road and when there are accidents (which are often) the whole road can be shut down for hours.
    Anonymous

• It's 150 miles from Miami to Key West. The speed limit is 30 MPH in many areas along US1 to Key West. It's about a 3 hour drive if there is no traffic but when there is traffic it can come to a standstill because US1 is only a 2 laned highway. The cost of living in South Florida isn't enough to make the commute worth it. You should check out the other Keys just north of Key West.
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 7:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Try looking for housing in Marathon Key or Duck Key. Small homes there around $500K as opposed to Key West where there in the millions.
    Kimposible

Answer by Kimposible at 8:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Houses in Key West in the millions????? What planet are you on? Housing is expensive but not that expensive.
    Anonymous