Help! Should I be worried?

My son woke up this morning and I noticed the tip of his right index finger was red and a little bit swollen. It doesn't seem to bother him, there wasn't anything under his nail that I could see, but it has me kind of worried. Should I take him to the doctor? (He's 3 months)

wahm_abbeyrose

Asked by wahm_abbeyrose at 9:25 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If there is no emergency-type symptoms (high-pitched screaming especially when finger is touched, vomitting, fever, strange rash, etc) then I would just wait a few hours & then if it's still a little swollen call the doctor & ask if you should come in or not.
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 9:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• maybe u should wait a few hours and the just spk to the doc. maybe he got bitten by a bug or something
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:28 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Sounds like a bug bite to me, my dd was getting attacked by a mosquito I could never find.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• 828anon is right could be that. Maybe for some reason baby was sucking on finger as he woke up or in his sleep. Babies suck on all sorts of things in the weirdest ways. If it gets a point of swelling or the finger increases even more size definitely call.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 9:34 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If he's not bothered by it, and it doesn't start turning odd colors (as if it's losing oxygen) then I wouldn't worry too much. Check to see if there's a hair or a tiny string wrapped around it, though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• it could be a spider bite. check it in a hour and if it has started to blister or get worse then i would take him to his doc. you dont want to run the risk of infection or a bad spider bite.
    matessa

Answer by matessa at 10:06 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Just call the doctor and ask, if they ask you to go in, then go on.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Spider bite came to mind but since I'm a momma who worries, I usually call to speak with a nurse.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2010