not eatting

my 19 month old son has not eaten anything in 6 days except a few m&ms and a cereal bar. he drinks a lot of fluids, but im realy worried about him not eating solid foods. i have tried making everything and anything under the sun and he wont eat it unless its junk food [which i refuse to give him anymore]. please help! i need advice and suggestions. thanks!

RydersMama08

Asked by RydersMama08 at 9:32 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep a routine, have breakfast, lunch and supper at the same time everyday. Have him at the table with you whether he eats or not. If you're really worried call your pediatrician and see what they suggest. I think if you're offering anything and everything at different times of the day he's going to think you're playing a game. To me routine has always been key with children, GL!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• toddlers go threw stages where they do not wish to eat.. just be patient and offer him meals all the time. try finger foods and stuff he likes.
    sandraberke

Answer by sandraberke at 9:52 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I remember those days that it seemed like he was living off air. He'll return to eating eventually. If he doesn't seem to be sick or in pain, don't worry about it. (Easier said than done) This too will pass (and come back & pass & come back, LOL!) :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 12:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I have been told over and over that kids won't starve themselves. Fluids and snacks will keep a 2 year old going for a while. I was told by a Nurse who's doctor advised her that if you can make 1 full meal of 3-4 days of food, you are doing good around this age.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I call this the air-o-tarian phase. They all go through it. First, make sure that he is drinking water, so he doesn't get dehydrated.
    Most important, do not create a monster who only eats nuggets, mac and cheese and hot dogs.
    Just keep offering a variety of healthy foods, and eventually he will start eating.
    Frozen foods are fun to play with, and will get eaten, like peas, blueberries and corn. Chunks of avocado and tofu are loaded with great nutrition, and are fun to squish between little fingers.
    I have never met a toddler who wouldn't eat hummus (lots of calcium, protein, good fats and iron), you can mix it with a mashed egg.
    Offer cut fruits with yogurt dip, fresh veggies with hummus or salad dressing, cooked whole wheat pasta and veggies with marinara or peanut sauce or cheese sauce.

Answer by rkoloms at 4:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• thanks everyone!!

he actually hates hummus......and egg. haha
    RydersMama08

Answer by RydersMama08 at 4:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Both my kids hate hummus????? I don't but they do.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2010