Am about to be ripped off, or am I just too cheap?

I'm about to move and have started looking into cable and internet providers where we're moving to. Every company that provides internet is charging 60- 70 dollars just for the internet. Some of the companies bundle telephone and internet which makes the internet more reasonable, but I'm still paying more for a house phone I will never use. Is that a reasonable price, or is that ridiculous?

Crystal1124

Asked by Crystal1124 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Money & Work

• Ask for all of the prices, because they do have varying speeds of internet. That aren't all that price.
    Also, if you're not going to use a home phone then don't get a packaged deal. That is a waste of money.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:35 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• It's ridiculous but it's competitive and called capitalism. Supply and demand economics.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:44 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• keep looking cause 60-70 is OUTRAGEOUS
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• We have internet and phone, we have a fax machine so our house phone is put to good use with Hubby's work, and it comes in handy when I need to receive things, or send them... We had an aircard but it has a limit on it, the broadband we have through our phone company is unlimited so it's a much better deal!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 9:47 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• It depends on what type of internet you're getting. We paid a little over $100 for high speed cable internet, digital cable, and our home phone when we were stationed in Washington State. It was about what we paid for all of it pretty much all the places we lived.

Now, we're in Japan, and we live on base, so we have a US company that contracts with the base to provide us service. We pay 100 a month for internet (which doesn't work all that great all the time) and our home phone. That doesn't include any long distance and it doesn't include even, say, calling someone who lives just outside the gate. We get 100 "free" minutes back to the States a month. (no option for cable tv...)

Honestly, if you're getting high speed internet, I would look at the bundles... gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:48 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Where I live, I pay $80 total for my phone and internet - the phone is like $60 and the internet is the other $20. It sounds to me like you're getting ripped off, but I guess it depends on where you live, too.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• It's ridiculous. Have you looked into DirecTV's pricing?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Direct TV isn't available in the area. I've had them in the past and it was a little pricey in my opinion but it was worth while because customer service was excellent. Anytime I had a problem, someone was at my house the next day, even on Sundays.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:02 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I know that the internet company is only quoting you the price for the FASTEST speed. Ask them to give you prices for ALL their speeds. If you don't play your PS or Xbox games online, then you don't need the fastest speed (read most expensive and only one they will quote you) for internet use. We use the medium speed that our company offers (DSL) because I send pictures to my brother and sister frequently. We also went from cable to DSL because there aren't as many people on DSL so less traffic meaning it is faster at medium speed than cable was at its fastest speed. Our DLS price is between $20 and $25 a month bundled with our home phone and DishNetwork. If we didn't bundle it would be about $30 a month.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Comcast will work with you, we have local channels only on regular cable & internet for under $30/month. AT&T has a bundle that is satellite TV, internet, and wireless service for $99, and you can absolutely do away with a landline phone thanks to Magic Jack. Also, Dish Network has the least costly satellite service I've seen. You can also skip a TV service altogether and just do internet for TV & movies, thanks to sites like Hulu and Netflix. You can watch pretty much any show, see any newscast from any city in the world, and there is even a way to hook up your computer to your TV so it plays on the TV instead of your monitor.
    yogapantz

Answer by yogapantz at 10:43 AM on Feb. 5, 2010