cold

Should I give my 3yr old cold med

kadmomma

Asked by kadmomma at 9:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• better not chance it ..... UNLESS he/she is over 40 pounds. The weight is much more important than age.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 9:57 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If they are miserable, not eating or sleeping they yes. Stick with the amount for the weight.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 10:05 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I wouldn't. I don't think it's right to give a child of any age cold medicine unless prescribed by a doctor. This being that their immune systems are working to fight off that cold. The more you surpress their immune system with chemical aids, the more you aren't allowing their immune system to get stronger.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I'd say an expectorant only to help bring the phlegm up. Avoid antihistimines unless you want a hyper kid.
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 10:45 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• we shouldn't try to suppress cold symptoms. they all occur for a reason...runny nose is discharging dead and sick cells, coughing is getting rid of those cells too. humidifiers are awesome for the winter time, because of the furnaces, our air dries out. lots of water can thin mucus making it easier to cough up. lots of rest and lots of love will help lots!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:51 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Boiron's Coldcalm is safe and effective.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Humidifier, baby vicks, saline soultion for the nose, popsicles(real fruit of course) chicken soup and lots of love and rest.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 4:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2010