I was watching a show on TLC and it got me thinking.. there are 10 womens prisons in the US that have nursesy wards so mothers who are pregnant can keep there babies with them. There are regluyations and you have to be accepted. you must have less then 18 months left and be a non violent offender.. so do you think is a good idea? and would you utlizie it if you were in that situation?

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 10:09 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Obviously, women who qualify for such a program are not dangerous, life-long criminals. I am sure the courts are very careful in selecting the mothers who are able to do this. I believe that this program is 100% in the best interest of the baby, and it's awesome. A newborn baby deserves to be with his mother, and the bonding is very important during that first year.

For those of you who would give your baby up until your release, have you considered what the emotional toll would be on your 18-month-old to be taken from the only parent he/she has known from birth and suddenly with a virtual stranger (the biological mother)> That is extremely traumatic and would be difficult for the person who loved and cared for them for 18 months as well. While a woman in prison may not "deserve" to be with her baby, the baby deserves to be with a mother who cares enough to want to be in this type of prison and be with her baby.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 7:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I would give my baby up flat out. If i had been living a life of crime enough to be in jail for the birth of my child, then my life would not be together enough to raise a baby . thats just me though
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:11 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I think it is a terrific idea. I think if they're that closely bonded with the baby, reoffending is more unlikely when they return

I think the inmate would be more bonded and closely knit with her prison baby than any other children she already had.... on the outside she had the ability to abuse or neglect it or drop it off at grandma's for a week and then to drink/party/associate with bad people. Now they're co-rooming 24 hours a day for up to 18 months. They'll be intensely close when she's released, she'll be fully and completely invested in that child's safety and happiness
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 10:12 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I agree with hibbingmom... especially if these are women who will eventually be released, having bonded with their baby is going to be an amazing benefit to them. How many of us have improved our lives after having a child? This gives these women, who badly need a new beginning, the opportunity to try to make one.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I do think it is a good idea. This way the babies have some kind of a chance that they will be taken care off. The moms will bond with them and learn how to take care of them.
    If they where on the outside the mom would be breaking the law and baby would be with who ever. This way the baby has a good start.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 10:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I would give my baby to one of my sisters until I was released, it would hurt but I wouldn't want my baby in prison...

Prison is for punishment, if you committed a crime I dont know why you should be able to get this.

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• The reasoning behind it is that if the mothers can not connect with their child in the most important months following birth, that they could end up far worse. The connection and the bond shows a lower rate of recidivism. However, if that bond can not occur, then the opposite is bound to happen- more drugs or crime to try and forget the fact that they were unable to bond with their child.
    ZaTa

Answer by ZaTa at 10:23 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Prison also rehabilitates the prisoner back to society, I have to agree the baby being  with momma, gives momma and baby a educated beginning instead of living it street wise.

tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 10:25 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I dont think I could do this and it REALLY borders on VERY selfish. YOU screwed up (not you Op the person in question LOL) why should your baby be be punished. 18 months is a LONG time! They only stay sweet little immobile babies for about 4 months! Then they are up and about and busy. So the baby is basically in daycare more often than not! Sharing all its time with OTHER babies with very little one on one time with someone who TRULY cares for them?? Sometimes the BEST thing you can do FOR YOUR CHILD hurts like hell for you and thems the breaks. If you are a GOOD parent you want what is the best situation for your CHILD!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• That is tricky, I can't imagine ever giving my baby up, not one of them.

The show it on TV it is not like Jail, it is like a home to them, and at that age all a baby wants is their mom. Tell me what baby remembers when they are that little? Do you?

I think it is good, because they can finally have their child 24 seven and yes, grow a deep bond with them. Hopefully, it will change their life forever.

I know my kids changed my life forever. As long as there is no danger involved, you can't say they are being punished.
    Being with your mom is not punishment. :)
    KFree907

Answer by KFree907 at 10:30 AM on Feb. 5, 2010