• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone else get annoyed when parents say that kids these days have no respect?

My kids have respect. Why? Because they have no choice. My kids have been taught to use their manners, be polite to others and not be rude and disrespectful. So, if these parents want to be respected by their kids, shouldn't they have taught their kids to be respectful? I know sometimes situations are unavoidable. Children learn through example...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Feb. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• No I don't get annoyed, becaues it's true. Eventhough my kids do have respect, but I've worked in the school systems and it's amazing what they are allowed to get away with. Alot of them were disrespectfull twits.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:15 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i think it's true as well, and not only with kids but with adults. of course there are people who were raised better and continue to exemplify those positive qualities and pass them on to their children. but overall, as a whole a lot of those good qualities have gone down the tubes and replaced with the "me" mentality.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:17 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I don't get annoyed, because I believe it is true. This isn't meaning ALL children, though the statement is greatly generalized. Children these days (Yes, not all) are very much lacking respect and manners. Parents of these children have slacked in their responsibility as a parent. People anymore are finding the easy way out, they're trying to rush through to get to something better. They put work, bills, and other trivial things before raising their children. Yes, paying bills is important and you must work to pay those bills. However, if you notice.. Back when work came second to family children were a lot more behaved and respected? I think that the country as a whole has slacked in its responsibilities, but especially parents to their children.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:18 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• It is true! There are exceptions, of course! I'm the same way with my children as you are! They BETTER be respectful, unless they want privelages taken away! But there is my nieces(husband's sister's kids), both of whom had kids really young, and they actually thought it was cute when their kids cussed and seemed to encourage it and now their surprised that their kindergarteners get in trouble so much at school! Can't imagine...
    Jeanyus

Answer by Jeanyus at 10:19 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My kids are twenties and teens, 3 kids. A LOT of parents I've seen over the years believe children should work out, battle, or get along in their own time without parents intervening. They feel it teaches social skiills and oh well they'll meet kids and people all through life who aren't nice so kids should deal with it.

I agree with op. I was bulled from middle school till I graduated from highschool. Kids need to be taught and followed through on selfrespect and respect. Self respect is different from having an ego the size of
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• its unbelieveable to think that a lot of parents are lacking that parental trait they made a choice to take on & have failed...they are responsible for their childrens actions just as much as the child almost- dependig on the age...
    DDTSMommy

Answer by DDTSMommy at 10:36 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I don't get annoyed because for the most part, it's true. My boys are very respectful and well-behaved and I know other kids who are. However, I know plenty of kids who aren't.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 11:08 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• The lack of respect thing started with Dr.Spock's crap about not punishing your children. UGH! Parents these days seem afraid of disciplining their children for fear of CPS. I grew up in a Podunk country town where we know the difference between spanking a kid and beating them. Where if you screw up, your friends parents have just as much right to punish you as your own parents. Where the cops don't usually ticket teenagers, they just call and tell their parents what they've been caught doing (which is WAY worse btw!). I personally believe that there is a DIRECT correlation between the lack of discipline and the rise of crime. Kids aren't being taught that there are consequences for their actions.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 11:12 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• To the OP I completely agree with you, well said.

Sweet_Faith

Answer by Sweet_Faith at 11:29 AM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I'm not annoyed at all! many kids do NOT have manners or give respect!

mine do - because I've taught them, but generally a lot of the kids we come into contact with don't respect anyone or anything.

Its the parent's 'job' to teach their kids - and many are so afaid of 'messing up their kids' because they discipline that its rediculous.

when you hear someone going on about it just look at your own kids and KNOW inside that they aren't speaking about YOUR kids.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 12:59 PM on Feb. 5, 2010